Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default maybe a little bug in rotation, and exact rotation

I found out something i didn't know yet:

When you second-click an object and move the center of rotation ("cor") rotate the object and second-click on the next object without deselecting the first one (no clicking on whitespace in between), the "cor" is still where it was on the previous object.

If you deselect the first object by clicking whitespace before clicking the next object, the "cor" will be the standard object centered one.

The problem is if i'm zoomed in and have a shape lying in the background i can't find a way to deselect the object to reset the "cor". Hitting escape doesn't do the trick though it deselects the object.

This is a small bug, no!?

Speaking of rotation...

Is there any way to make an exact rotation apart from entering rotation values?

Like i want to align a rectangle to a diagonal line.

I move the box to the line so one corner touches it. I move the "cor" to that same corner. Now i want to rotate the rectangle so that the desired other corner snaps to the line to have an exact rotation. Any way to make it actually snap and not just guess?

Sorry for the long text :/

Default Re: maybe a little bug in rotation, and exact rotation

Quote Originally Posted by mikalele View Post
    .....Speaking of rotation....Any way to make it actually snap and not just guess?
    Doesn't "Snap to objects" do that? It seems to work for me, but I don't remember doing any detailed rotations, so maybe it doesn't
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I can only snap the center of rotation, there doesn't seem to be a second (snapable) reference point

You're right. Although the magnetic snap is activated, it's not snapping a definite point to it. If you get too near the corner it drags instead of rotates. I can see how this would be a problem.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I found out something i didn't know yet:

When you second-click an object and move the center of rotation ("cor") rotate the object and second-click on the next object without deselecting the first one (no clicking on whitespace in between), the "cor" is still where it was on the previous object.

If you deselect the first object by clicking whitespace before clicking the next object, the "cor" will be the standard object centered one.

The problem is if i'm zoomed in and have a shape lying in the background i can't find a way to deselect the object to reset the "cor". Hitting escape doesn't do the trick though it deselects the object.
    That's not a bug. It's a feature and should behave exactly as you describe.
    To reset the center of rotation when zoomed in, click one of the 9 little squares that you see on the left of the X and Y coordinates. To reset the origin to the center, click the middle square and so on

Hmm, didn't think about this, but it works... thanks!

But i still think hitting escape should do the trick too, if clicking whitespace does.

But i still think hitting escape should do the trick too, if clicking whitespace does.
    Yeah, I agree with you on that. That would be more logical

It's a bug and I let Xara know a while back, so they're aware.