Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default xara picture editor bug?

I use the xara picture editor sometimes, but in XXP4 it seems to have changed
    a bit.

I used to put pictures in the xxp window and then double click and
    the xara picture editor would appear, that still works, but then I would
    crop a part of the picture and press the green V and the cropped part
    would appear in de XXP window, but now something strange happens
    the size of the picture i wanted to crop is still there but the cropped
    part is enlarged in the dimensions of the former picture, is that a bug or
    has something changed??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bug editor.png 
Views:	264 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	47296  
    Last edited by ankhor; 01 April 2008 at 03:35 PM.
    be aware, not to become a ware.

Default Re: xara picture editor bug?

I can confirm that it works like that for me too. It takes the cropped area and fills the original bitmap space with it. Seems like a bug to me!

I know it's habit, but why don't you crop (clip) with the photo tool built into XX4. It's much quicker and as Xara says its non-destructive.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    I can confirm that it works like that for me too. It takes the cropped area and fills the original bitmap space with it. Seems like a bug to me!

I know it's habit, but why don't you crop (clip) with the photo tool built into XX4. It's much quicker and as Xara says its non-destructive.
    Hmm thanks, didn't know about that, and I just did it the way I always done it
    I give it a try, thanks man.

edit: I have tried the new one but somehow i like the old way better, yes it might be habit
    but we are creatures of habit.
    Last edited by ankhor; 01 April 2008 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ankhor View Post
    .........but we are creatures of habit.
    We certainly are.
    Keith
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

There are lots of good reasons for using the built-in photo features instead of XPE. It's much, much faster, and requires no memory. And I think pretty much everything you could do in XPE can now be done better in the Photo tool, certainly cropping. (Red-eye is the one thing that still done using XPE)

(Tip for cropping: Just go into Photo tool and drag across photo - this automatically starts a clip region. Then double click to complete the crop.)

Charles, I don't think you addressed the original problem. Although as you say there are reasons to use the Photo tool instead of XPE, the XPE should at least function correctly. I've never seen a crop tool that crops the image, but keeps the size the same before.....
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Moir View Post
    There are lots of good reasons for using the built-in photo features instead of XPE. It's much, much faster, and requires no memory. And I think pretty much everything you could do in XPE can now be done better in the Photo tool, certainly cropping. (Red-eye is the one thing that still done using XPE)

(Tip for cropping: Just go into Photo tool and drag across photo - this automatically starts a clip region. Then double click to complete the crop.)
    I figured that out the first time.

I could also make a black square, put it over the region I want to crop
    and do an 'arrange'-'combine shapes'-'intersect shapes' (which I do
    if the region I want isn`t a square but a shape I make with the shape editor tool.) But I used to do it a lot with XPE and I am used to it, but I can still do it that way by saving it first and then dropping it in the window of XXP4.
    I just wanted to know if this could be fixed, but if it isn`t a priority, I can work around it. There are more important things to address first I have seen too.

Seems like that would be because the photo is really just a shape with a bitmap fill. Making the fill bitmap smaller doesn't necessarily make the shape smaller. If XPE makes the image smaller, the shape should get smaller too. Except that if you're filling a shape with a bitmap and want to edit the bitmap to make it smaller, you may not want the shape to change size.

A dilly of a pickle, to be sure.

Unfortunately I don't have any experience with how that used to work. I used to always use PSP to get any photos/bitmaps ready and then import them. Now that the photo editor is built in, this is a huge time saver for me. (That plus the text repel feature was totally worth the upgrade price, for me).
    This signature would be seven words long if it was six words shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by Odat View Post
    Seems like that would be because the photo is really just a shape with a bitmap fill. Making the fill bitmap smaller doesn't necessarily make the shape smaller. If XPE makes the image smaller, the shape should get smaller too. Except that if you're filling a shape with a bitmap and want to edit the bitmap to make it smaller, you may not want the shape to change size.

A dilly of a pickle, to be sure.

Unfortunately I don't have any experience with how that used to work. I used to always use PSP to get any photos/bitmaps ready and then import them. Now that the photo editor is built in, this is a huge time saver for me. (That plus the text repel feature was totally worth the upgrade price, for me).

Yep just discovered that I need to double click the part that was
    cropped, now that is fast, I think I could get used to that.
    Didn`t read the piece that Charles wrote good enough, now I found
    out what he ment, so I have to agree that it is fast.

Another thing I noticed, that if I choose a picture to open with
    I loose the white page thingie in the back, is that supposed to happen
    because it didn`t happen in XXP3.2, or do I have to do it through the import
    to keep the white page thingie in the back now?