Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default RE: A question I asked Egg

This in reference to a question I asked Egg in Youtube. I'm posting it here in case anyone else was wondering about it too. I had asked about the color bar at the bottom of the screen. I noticed that on his tutorials his color bar was neatly arranged by color and shades of colors whereas mine (the default way that Xara does it) is confusing to me because it has colors arranged by squares, diamonds, and smaller rounded squares in no apparent order. I've tried dragging colors around and adding new ones but they don't seem to be retained when I close the document. I've unchecked the "Delete unused colors when saving and loading" box but that doesn't help. I think the diamond shaped ones are a standard palette that probably can't be changed and I'm stuck with it. My guess is that he made a prototype drawing (a CAD term) that he set up the way he wants and bases new documents on that one.
    Anyway, Egg said if I posted the question here too he would upload an Xar file that I can download, which I guess is that prototype drawing.
    Thanks again, Egg.

Default Re: A question I asked Egg

Template is the term you were looking for.

And, yes that would be my guess too.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Egg may have been using an earlier version for those videos prior to the colour bar palette changes which were introduced and linked colours are shown as smaller rounded squares.

1st img = old version
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	colorlineold.png 
Views:	257 
Size:	10.6 KB 
ID:	47323   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	colorlinenew.png 
Views:	257 
Size:	14.9 KB 
ID:	47324  

Yes I know they're called templates, I have several I've already made. I just used the term for comparison. Your graphic explained a lot, Sledger, particularly the right half of it. thanks. I don't know what version Egg was using or talking about, he just said he has a template he uses that he would post so people can download it. I'm still not artistic but I'm finding countless ways I can use X1 and XX4; it's gotten to the point where all I do is sit here and doodle while my head is buzzing with possibilities. I haven't touched Paint Shop Pro in days. This is quite addictive.

Hi GMS, I'll attach the xar file as promised. In the 3.2 release Xara discontinued the traditional colour line in favour of the new one. I personally missed the old one and recreated a xar I use as my default template.

Basically it has all the old default palette colours set out in a layer named "NamedColours (Off Page)". which are by default invisible and uneditable. (open the layers gallery to view).

So to use it, just download it, open it in XXP, make any amendments you might like, i.e. the default font, line width, page size etc then "Save Template", name it what you want and set as your default template / Save.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Here are my default templates. Just make sure you have the delete unsed colors turned off. All the named clors are the browser named colors...
    For instance, steelblue in the pallette is the exact shade as steelblue when used in HTML.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	colorpalette.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	47358  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by raynerj1; 02 April 2008 at 03:36 AM.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

I got it, Egg, thanks.

Thank you Egg and John for your files. Will play with them this weekend! Look like they will really come in handy.
    -Samantha
    "Try to live your life so that you wouldn't be afraid to sell the family parrot to the town gossip." Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

I have basically the that same template for 10 years... Works great for me. I am primarily a web designer, so my colors (colours) reflect mainly that. Folks who do mainly graphic design will be somewhat different.

Basically more spot colors, and CMYK colors. My template is mostly RBG colors.

You can always toss all these templates in your clipart gallery and create a folder in xara for them. Then you can have as many as you would like. I think Steve came up with that nice idea.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook