Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Help Please: Integrating Xara exports into HTML

Maybe I am trying to use Xara for something it is not designed for but I can do all kinds of wonderful things with designs, flyers, etc without problems using the full suite of Xara programs.

HOWEVER - I have totally hit a wall when it comes to using them for use in web sites.

Example, I can use webstyle to do a basic web and get it to Frontpage but when I they want to add in all the "goodies" from other xara programs I can not find a way to do so - just "fill in the blanks" is all I am allowed to do to the site.

Another - I spent time making an animation in Xtreme and saved it - as a .swf to be used in my web page. Guess what, I can not now import that into frontpage AND I CAN NOT NOW EVER IMPORT IT BACK IN XTREME!!! Says it is an unrecconized file format!!!!

And, as usual for Xara, there is NO TEC SUPPORT - I presently have 4 open tickets waiting for an answer - -

It is really a shame that Xara has such great programs and NO SUPPORT - this is the 3rd time I have tried to get help from them in some 4 years now and NOT ONE TIME HAVE I EVER RECEIVED A REPLY FROM THEM EXCEPT THE CANNED "WE HAVE RECEIVED . . . " EMAIL.

Understand the company was purchased a while back - wonder if the new owners know just how poor their support really is?

At any rate, is there an easy way to get all the "goodies" from Xara into Frontpage and, therefore, into my web site?

Tks for replys and the best to all - jb

Default Re: Help Please

Quote Originally Posted by jeb View Post

Another - I spent time making an animation in Xtreme and saved it - as a .swf to be used in my web page. Guess what, I can not now import that into frontpage AND I CAN NOT NOW EVER IMPORT IT BACK IN XTREME!!! Says it is an unrecconized file format!!!!
    Hi

You cannot save from xara as an swf - you can only export.
    Exporting does not guarantee the ability to import - in the case of swf, xara does not have that facility

To save you must save as a xar file - then you can reopen and carry on from where you left off.

Sorry I cannot help you with the rest, but hopefully someone else will soon
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Tks Steve - I did export - should have saved a file also, I guess - but who would have thought that you can put a file into a format in a program that the same program will not open? Doesn't make a lot of sence to me. - jb

If you exported only, closing the program would have prompted you to save?

It is common for graphics software to have a variety of Export filters which differ from the save/open filters.

Exporting assumes that you have done with design and ready to save as a format for use in another application. For future editing you should always save in the application native format, in this case .xar

Jeb, Hi

It may help if we discuss the fundamentals here...

What you can see in a web page is determined by what the browser can show - either by itself or with the assistance of plugins.

So browsers commonly render jpg and gif images, and flash movies (the exported swf format).

Frontpage and other webpage building tools (including a text editor in this role) simply help with stitching together the html for the page plus the links to the images, flash movies etc. So the latter need preparing by different tools - PSP, Xara Xtreme and X3D, etc.

The exception to this last step is that some webpage building tools try to help by linking to the SOURCE files - eg in Dreamweaver to Flash (the flash file builder) or Xara Webstyle. But the pages created still only link to the exported formats - as that is all the browsers can handle.

Hope that helps - so as has been said - you MUST save the source file eg the XAR file.
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

Default Re: Help Please: Integrating Xara exports into HTML

There is nothing wrong with Xara, it is the fault of the program you are trying to get the data into... I have been using xara products to do web sites for over 10 years...

My web page editor can handle anything xara can throw at it... It's is called wordpad...

For you nickpickers... (I didn't say display... I can always just put Download link for Tif, eps and anything else)
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

Yes, I think the problem here is Front page. Jeb you just need to learn a little more about html and you can then use notepad or word pad or what ever John uses. Dont rely on front page or some other program to write the code for you. You get sloppy code and a bunch errors too!
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire

Okay this is the nice way to describe MS Frontpage. Microsoft doesn't even use it do do their web site. If a company won't even use what they sell how good can it be?
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

Why would they? Frontpage was discontinued in 2006.

I didnt know it was discontinued. But that is even better reason to not use it.
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire