Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Embarrassing problem with rulers

I feel really silly asking for help on this because I've been catching on to X1 and now XX4 but I must be doing something wrong with the rulers. Right from the start I figured out that I can drag them and reposition them but now for some reason the won't drag. When I try to drag them the dotted line drags to where I want it like it did before but the rulers don't move.
    Am i doing this wrong or have I changed something and don't know it?

Default Re: Embarrassing problem with rulers

The rulers themselves have never been draggable and respositionable in all versions of Xtreme I've used (I know some other software does it this way). You drag the red dotted lines as 'guides' and use the rulers as a referrence.
    The beauty of this method is that a) You can drag as many guides as you need and b) to don't obscure parts of your work with grey bars all over it

Note: Once you have the red-dotted guides set up, toggle them on/off while working using the Numpad '1' key.
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 31 March 2008 at 08:10 PM. Reason: added note

Sorry Sledger - If you drag the cross in the corner of the rulers in V4 you can set your 0,0 origin wherever you want it. This same behaviour was in 3.2
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Are you talking about dragging the actual rulers or dragging the origin point of the rulers?

As sledger says, the rulers themselves have never been drag-able. However, you can certainly drag the origin/0,0 point to a new position on the page. It's the crosshair in the upper left corner between the two rulers.

The crosshair will show on the canvas as two black dotted lines until you release the cursor. You won't see those dotted lines again, but you can see where your zeros are on the rulers.

You can also set the 0,0 point on the Grid & Ruler tab in the Options dialog, but that can be a little tricky if you've chosen To the Left for the X increase or Downwards for the Y increase. The X and Y Origin fields use the Xtreme defaults of To the Right and Upwards, so, if you've changed directions, you'll need to calculate accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    Sorry Sledger - If you drag the cross in the corner of the rulers in V4 you can set your 0,0 origin wherever you want it. This same behaviour was in 3.2
    Keith I believe Gms9810 was talking about dragging the actual rulers across the page, not merely moving the origin points. Hence my comment about grey bars across your work

Yes, I meant the actual rulers, I know it can be done because I've done it and the help file says I can. Help, search for rulers, then its on that page.

Nothing in any of my installed version Help files to say that rulers are detachable and draggable across the page??

He might be talking about the "text"rulers or like said before the guides

if it's the text rulers it only applies when a textarea is used

if it's the guides,he best take a look at the layers,to see if the guideslayer
    is uneditable

Hans

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Keith I believe Gms9810 was talking about dragging the actual rulers across the page .....
    Sorry Steve, the brain must have wrongly interpreted the post. Agreed, I don't think that the rulers themselves can be moved - that's probably why I assumed that he mean't the origin.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Thanks but I figured it out; I had it in my head that I could drag the actual ruler, I must have been thinking about another application that has similar rulers. The actual rulers don't move, the 0 point moves as needed. I've been up for 28 hours, maybe I should get some sleep. I've been doing too much work on too many computers lately; I need to take some time for me. Pardon the interruption.