Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Default Re: x4 zoom in/out slower

bump

not many people seem to be concerned about x4s speed like me.

am i a speed-addict?

i hope you can fix it - i really need the better path clipping accuracy.

:b

FLy

Hi FLy,

We are concerned with speed but it seems that you use the program slightly differently than some other people, which may explain why they aren't as concerned as you are.

The April 2nd version contains a fix to prevent slow objects from delaying the handling of wheel events. This means that not all wheel-zoom stages will try to render anything and it should now be as fast as it was in 3.0.

So can you explain exactly what you find to be slower? Is it that you have to go through more wheel notches to zoom to a certain amount or that you find it slower to respond to wheel notches while you're moving the wheel or that it's slower to render the drawing once you have finished moving the wheel?

Phil

In the Apr 2 version, each wheel scroll results in the complete redraw of the screen before the next wheel zoom notch is started. 4.0 is slightly faster than 3.2 (due to multi-core) but Xara 2.0 is much faster at wheel zooming than either of them (and it's not related to the increased number of zoom notches in 3.2/4.0). In 2.0, the wheel zooming takes priority over the screen redraw; the next zoom notch begins before the previous screen redraw completes. This makes it 'flicker', but it's much faster. (Tested using the "lines test.xar" above.)

Another good test file is the microscope file: just zoom in and out to the specimen slide. In 2.0, it is tremendously quick to get to full zoom (independently of the increased zoom step sizes); 3.2 and 4.0 require a full screen redraw before moving to the next zoom level.
    Last edited by Xhris; 04 April 2008 at 05:13 PM.

sorry which version are we defining as xara 2 here
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    sorry which version are we defining as xara 2 here
    Go to help > about, and the version that says version 2.0. a.k.a. Xtreme, the one after X1 (which was version 1.0)

Xhris Xara X¹ was version 1.1. Xara X was version 1.0
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

right yes with that just checking as xara not xtreme stated thanks

would agree then faster - generally and in my experience - I still use xtreme 2 quite a bit

if X1 is version 1.0 presumably is X version 0 ? don't have that installed to check
    Nothing lasts forever...

ah Bill's answered thanks Bill
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Xhris View Post
    In the Apr 2 version, each wheel scroll results in the complete redraw of the screen before the next wheel zoom notch is started. 4.0 is slightly faster than 3.2 (due to multi-core) but Xara 2.0 is much faster at wheel zooming than either of them (and it's not related to the increased number of zoom notches in 3.2/4.0). In 2.0, the wheel zooming takes priority over the screen redraw; the next zoom notch begins before the previous screen redraw completes. This makes it 'flicker', but it's much faster. (Tested using the "lines test.xar" above.)

Another good test file is the microscope file: just zoom in and out to the specimen slide. In 2.0, it is tremendously quick to get to full zoom (independently of the increased zoom step sizes); 3.2 and 4.0 require a full screen redraw before moving to the next zoom level.
    yep, that's what i mean. if you do a direct comparison of 3.02 NOT 3.2 and 4.0 you'll see that zooming in a complex drawing got really SLOOOOOOW in 4.0 and in 3.2 (kept me from updating back then but i didn't bother because the 3.2 added features were of no interest for me). 3.02 and maybe older versions are lots faster with the same file.

just zoom in and out with 3.02 or older on the sample file i've given and do the same with 4.0 and you'll notice a huge difference.

(how can i record a screen video?)

bb,

FLy

Quote Originally Posted by FLySOLO View Post

(how can i record a screen video?)
    Try CamStudio - freeware