Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Default x4 zoom in/out slower

hi,

i'm a nervous kind of user always zooming and panning so i noticed already in the update before this update that zooming in with the mousewheel is slower in complex drawings. the last 2 versions seem to draw the whole picture in every zoom step where the older xara (3.02 pro) seems to just draw the destination (final) step fully. the inbetween steps are not drawn completely. this leads to a very slow response feeling using xara x4 in comparison to a speedier feeling in x3.

can this behaviour be changable in options?

bb,

FLy

Default Re: x4 zoom in/out slower

Can you upload an example .xar file?

testfile
    Attached Files Attached Files

Yes, I get a laggy jumpy zoom response after about 250% and upwards, then zooming back out to 100% on my machine in Xtreme4. (AMD dual core 6000+, 4GB DDR2)
    Loading the same file into version 3.2.4, I get the same thing happen at the same zoom levels, so it's not a new thing as far as I can tell.
    The furr_02 brush redraw appears to be the cause of this due to the thousands of nodes needed for the complex fur effect. Changing to brush to normal line completely removes the zoom lag - selecting 'crayon' or 'petals' also improves the zoom smoothness.

it isn't instant at the higher zooms - but it isn't what I would call slow

intel core 2
    2.5GB DDR2
    nvidia 7200
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

the file in 3.02 zooms fast because there is just one real redraw when you stop - wheel-zooming. 3.2 and 4 seem to attempt to redraw evry mouse-wheel tick.

just tested on some other files. 3.02 zooms lots faster. if you wheel in from 20 to 100 percent fast it happens lots faster than in 3.2 and in 4.

3.2 and 4 draw all zoom states completely so it looks nicer but you get a laggy feeling if you're working on complex stuff.

that's and the changed spacebar behaviour was why i skipped the 3.2 update.

please - add an option checkbox in the view options to be able to specify this.

like you did with the right-click on the color bar.

bb,

FLy

got to say that the zoom fix to stay central far outweighs any slight slowing down of the zoom for me - actually to fast can be a problem I find, but appreciate this not being right for you
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

As FLy said, working with complex drawings and this becomes *very* noticeable. An option would be nice in those instances.

just checked the same file in illustrator. if you zoom fast with the wheel it just draws part of the objects and only if you stop wheeling redraws everything. same as in xara 3.02.

good thing.

bad thing is that i'm addicted to xara.

kind of a lov-hate relationship every time i see the beautiful interface of the actual adobe products and then come back to the cheap comic look of xara. first thing after watching the new release for about an hour was to dig out reshacker to look into the dll and to see if i could change the looks.

corel had an icon editor in back v9 or so i think.

the gallery windows just look plain cheap and ugly. for the last three years or so i think about changing to illustrator. sigh.