Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Since when has increasing size made the preview blurry?

I've oddly enough never noticed this before (I'm a Xara 1.0d user most of the time), but when trying out the new version 4, and resizing up an image, I was presented with this blurry mess before I let go of the mouse button:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hmm.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	207.8 KB 
ID:	47175  
    Art should tell a story. Don't paint a moment, paint a lifetime.

Default Re: Since when has increasing size made the preview blurry?

that happens sometimes

possibly to do with the way xtreme 4 does not redraw the actual image at the new size until you let go of the mouse - speeds things up [I think]

what happens in xara 1.0d?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

This is because, in the interest of efficiency, some objects are cached now (since Xara 2) and a bitmap is blitted to the screen to increase redraw performance. When scaling a cached object, if scaled large enough, you can see the pixels of the bitmap cache image. Caching can be turned off, but it reduces performance significantly in some cases. If the objects are simple enough, the full vector image is scaled instead of its cached image. Groups are cached, and so their cached image is likely to be scaled. The attached xar file illustrates beautifully (albeit in an abstract fashion) the advantages of caching.
    Attached Files Attached Files

good explanation
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    that happens sometimes

possibly to do with the way xtreme 4 does not redraw the actual image at the new size until you let go of the mouse - speeds things up [I think]

what happens in xara 1.0d?
    In Xara 1 all resizes are completely sharp as they should be in an object based editing application.

Since nothing has happened with the obejct rendering in Xara in the last five years (yeah, yeah), and Xara was already fast back then... well, screw it:

How do I turn this new feature off?

(I don't care that it caches groups as bitmaps when I don't notice it, but they shouldn't do it while resizing or zooming.)

use outline view?
    Nothing lasts forever...

As Chris has explained, and demonstrated with his example file so eloquently, the cache feature is there to speed things up, which it does. And it's not just resizing but a whole range of general rendering is considerably improved by caching.

It's tune-up feature to improve performance, so the option to turn it off is under..... Options -> Tune Ups.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Moir View Post
    As Chris has explained, and demonstrated with his example file so eloquently, the cache feature is there to speed things up, which it does. And it's not just resizing but a whole range of general rendering is considerably improved by caching.

It's tune-up feature to improve performance, so the option to turn it off is under..... Options -> Tune Ups.
    Thank you for the information. I've disabled the cache options.