Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default XXP4 issue - Resizing and "repel text"

First thing - when resizing shape that has set repel margin, margin retains original size. Not a bug but can cause trouble sometimes and resizing margin manually is time consuming (not to mention coplicated calculations . Maybe i'm just blind and theres somwhere hidden toggle similar to "Scale line widths"...

Second thing - looks like repel behavior is a little incosistent as it gives different results depending on size and position of text and shapes with repel margin.

Try this:
    Create text block and fill it.
    Place shape over it and set repel margin to 5pix
    Select both the text and the shape, clone selection and move it to different position.
    Change size of the selection to 50%, now shape still has margin set to 5pix so results probably differ from original.
    Set repel margin to 2.5pix to reflect 50% scale.
    Now you have two blocks that should look the same just one should be 50% smaller. Depending on exact shapes/text configuration results differ for me. It works about half the time.

Video clearly shows whats wrong
    http://suvek.redart.cz/x4_video/
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Suvek; 30 March 2008 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Added xar file with example

Default Re: XXP4 issue - Resizing and "repel text"

Quote Originally Posted by Suvek View Post
    First thing - when resizing shape that has set repel margin, margin retains original size. Not a bug but can cause trouble sometimes and resizing margin manually is time consuming (not to mention coplicated calculations . Maybe i'm just blind and theres somwhere hidden toggle similar to "Scale line widths"...
    No, that is an oversight. I agree it should be scaled.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvek View Post
    Set repel margin to 2.5pix to reflect 50% scale.
    Now you have two blocks that should look the same just one should be 50% smaller. Depending on exact shapes/text configuration results differ for me. It works about half the time.

Video clearly shows whats wrong
    http://suvek.redart.cz/x4_video/
    Unfortunately, 2.5pix at 50% scale is not the same as 5pix at 100% scale because the accuracy of the repel margin only goes down to a full pixel. So, you cannot get exactly the same result when scaling down by 50% in this case.

In fact, the same is true for any kind of scaling unless it happens to scale the repel margin size from an exact pixel size to an exact pixel size. So, if your repel margin is 5pix then scaling up by 20% should be fine (results in 6pix) but when scaling up by 10% or 30% there is no way to adjust the repel margin to result in exactly the same formatting.

Hi,

Just tested,repelling isn't limited to 1pix
    Zoom in on the border(which devides object and text)
    you'll see if changed to 0,5 it works(the text shifts towards the object)

Hans

Quote Originally Posted by wuerthne View Post
    Unfortunately, 2.5pix at 50% scale is not the same as 5pix at 100% scale because the accuracy of the repel margin only goes down to a full pixel.
    Thanks for explanation

haakoo> Changing from 1pix to 0,5pix can cause text to move but by full pixel not by 0,5. Result depends on position and dimensions (exact pixels or subpixel) of the shape with repel margin.
    Attachment shows result for shape thats not placed at pixel border. Text retains this position for margin 0 as well as 0,5, for margin 1 moves to the right by 1 full pixel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	x4_margin.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	13.6 KB 
ID:	47225  

I stand corrected,you're right,it repels only on 1 whole pixels
    But why would it be smaller anyway.

Hans