Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default XP4 Right click line color behavior change

In previous versions of Xtreme, you could select a JPEG image, right click on a color in the color line and the image would convert to a monochrome version. I have always used this feature to convert my black and white rough sketches into a blue line sketch which I use to draw over in black. What happens now in XP4 is that when I select the image and right click on a color (I've enabled the right click changes line color option) it only puts a colored outline around the image.

A workaround that I have found is to place a blue rectangle over the image and set transparency to Flat/Bleach/0%. This works fine but I wonder if this feature could be changed to how it has always been in the past. Or perhaps I am doing something wrong?

By the way, just wanted to say that this is a minor issue and overall I am thrilled with XP4's many new features.

Default Re: XP4 Right click line color behavior change

Hi Zeb

sounds like what you want is the set contone color - from memory dark rather than light

this is in the right click on colour / show menu option - which you have deselected in favour of right click on menu / set line colour

there may be a another way of accessing contone but offhand I am not sure
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

You simply left click now to contone a photo. e.f. clicking on white will make it black and white. Or right click and use the menu to set the light, dark, outline or fill colours.

Wow, thanks! I figured there must be a simple solution.

duh - silly me this I knew
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Sorry, my reply was premature. I'm still stuck. Charles, the left click works fine with a photo but not with my sketch. I'll attach one so you can see for yourself. I don't quite understand what you were saying about setting the dark and light, perhaps that's the key. The image is a greyscale JPEG. I tried saving it as RGB and CMYK but with the same results. Like I said, in the past, a single right click would maintain the white background white and all the black lines would change color. I MUST be doing something wrong.

What I want is the pic on the right. (Funny, I thought these two images would appear as attachments.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	47121   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test blue.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	12.1 KB 
ID:	47122  

Last edited by ZEBtoonz; 29 March 2008 at 02:47 PM.

Hi Zeb,

I use the right click and Set Contone Dark. See Attachment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	contone-dark.gif 
Views:	179 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	47124  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Another approach is to select the image you want to contone and then pick the colour editor tool. It will open and allow you to fully edit the light & dark contone colours. I say 'fully' because you can even use an eyedropper or the various interactive colour editor systems.

Okay, finally, I GOT it! I knew I was doing something wrong. I had to right click on the COLOR LINE to set the light dark contone colors! I was selecting the image and right clicking. Okay, now it's working fine. This little simple function is so very helpful, at least for me and my work. I used to have to work this out in Photoshop before I discovered the right click option in Xara X years ago.

Thanks for your help, Charles, Bill and Ross!

Dark does the black pixels and light does everything else.

You have black pixels and need to set the dark.

If you set light, you would recolor the white in this case. If you had grays. the white and grays would be recolored, but you could use the image itself as a bitmap transparent mask to make the white areas transparent. Then make a true color bitmap copy.

Rich