Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: text problem

Default text problem

It is late and night and I've just started playing with XX4, and immediately I run into a silly problem.

I've entered some text, and it comes in as Arial.
    OK. I try to change the font and find that I can do it via the font gallery but not via the text bar window. But I always change it via the window so why not now? When I try the font window seems to get underlined but nothing else happens.

There must be something I have to change or something.....but what?
    I have never seen this behaviour in any version of Xara.

Tell me what I need to change.

Erik

Default Re: text problem

Cant replicate your problem... the font gallery works as does the text drop down on the info bar. and as a bonus as you move the mouse over the drop down window, the text changes to show a preview.
    Glenn

EJ You might be inadvertantly moving the cursor over another font?

The new drop down menu takes a little getting used to. First because of all the WYSIWYG font samples and then the delayed style and font update.

Of course it was late at night for you and early in the morning for me.

Gary

I had this problem with a trial version of Coreldraw X4. I needed to DL and upgrade my graphics card them the same WYSIWYG font sample worked. Otherwise nothing would show in the drop down text and corel would crash. Once I had updated everything was fine. It drove me mad trying to workout what it was....t

OK. In the light of day the same thing happens. No drop down window for fonts and also no drop down window for page size. It is stuck on "custom".

I uninstalled, brought done a fresh trial copy and reloaded. I got the same result No font drop down and no page size drop down.

Hey Tao. Are you talking about downloading your graphic card software (dll or whatever and then reinstalling) or getting new hardware. If this is the case it is a first and I play with Adobe, Coreldraw and Inkscape among others as well as Xara.

Erik.

PS Gary.

You said: "The new drop down menu takes a little getting used to".
    I say: No it doesn't. I don't have one.........:-)

The size drop down works and bolding etc.
    Erik

I just found out what my graphics card was and updated the new drivers or what ever it was they DL from their web page. I had Radeon 9500 now it is a 9550SE. Anyway it fixed my problem which sounds very much like your problem.....t

Quote Originally Posted by EJ View Post
    OK. In the light of day the same thing happens. No drop down window for fonts and also no drop down window for page size. It is stuck on "custom".

I uninstalled, brought done a fresh trial copy and reloaded. I got the same result No font drop down and no page size drop down.

Hey Tao. Are you talking about downloading your graphic card software (dll or whatever and then reinstalling) or getting new hardware. If this is the case it is a first and I play with Adobe, Coreldraw and Inkscape among others as well as Xara.

Erik.

Font and page size dropdown.
    I still cannot get these two problems fixed.
    I have uninstalled and reinstalled XX4 and XX4P several times and note that the installation (XX4) does not go smoothly.

First point. The instal seems to hang for a long time at 71% when it is installing XWFU_ENG.dll. That does not worry me too much because it does get beyond that without anything else needing done.

Second point. The instal hangs at 97% and gives me the screen (Xara 4 Instal Screen 1) shown below. If I pick "No" the screen flashes through 99% and then goes to "successfully installed".
    If I pick "Yes" there is a very fast screen which I think says ..."failed to initialise... and then my machine restarts.

In both cases the XX4 appears to be properly installed after this. However:

There is no Font text window dropdown box and no Custom page size dropdown box. In each case there is a a dark line where I would expect the box to appear. This is visible in the other two screens.

The fonts are there because I can see them in the font gallery.

I have checked my graphics card and it appears to have up-to-date drivers. It is a NVIDIA GeForce MX40.

Any help will be appreciated.

This is particularly galling because I have always run Xara trial progs before buying and never had trouble. This time I bought before trying.............

Erik

Woops. Forgot the attachments. Here they are.
    Note dark lines under windows where drop down box should be.

Erik
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xara 4 Install Screen 1.gif 
Views:	190 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	47193   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xara 4 Font Dropdown 1.gif 
Views:	193 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	47194  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xara 4 Page Paper Size Dropdown1.gif 
Views:	194 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	47195  

how old is that graphics card? - I cannot see any current support for a geforce MX40 on nvidia's site - where did you check the drivers - is it an MX400 series?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...