Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: 3D Photos

Default 3D Photos

There have been a couple of people asking how the 3D photos in the manual was created. OK here's the file so you can play yourself.

The top photo and its reflected image have to be treated as separate 3D objects, partly because the lower one has a graduated reflection on it. The reflection was created by drag copying the top one, turning it upside down in Selector tool, and then adjusting the 3D orientation to 'reflect' the top photo. So it's all done by eye basically. A bit fiddly getting it right but not difficult. I'm sure a better artist than me can make it look better.

So as you can see both the top and lower object are separate 3D extruded images.

Now for the really cool feature - we improved drag 'n' drop photo handling. So you can take any photo (from bitmap gallery or external JPEG file) and just drop on top of the 3D photos, to replace the pictures with your own. Drop one on the top and again on the bottom upside down image - it gets the scale, orientation etc right.

(And you'll see this even works inside grouped, and in this case ClipViewed object. As does the 3D extrude tool - you do not need to un-group or remove the ClipView to adjust the 3D object. The tool automatically drills-down into any group to select the object.)

So now you don't have to be an artist at all to create your own 3D mantelpiece photos. It's drag and drop easy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3dphotos.jpg 
Views:	1020 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	47109  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: 3D Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Moir View Post
    Now for the really cool feature - we improved drag 'n' drop photo handling. So you can take any photo (from bitmap gallery or external JPEG file) and just drop on top of the 3D photos, to replace the pictures with your own. Drop one on the top and again on the bottom upside down image - it gets the scale, orientation etc right.
    Yes - that is cool.. I just played around and it even works this way when dragging from Picasa.

I assume you are aware that it doesn't work when dragging photos from the clipart gallery?

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Moir View Post
    Thanks Charles
    Tom - Hwy101

Cool and easy ... even I can do it!

Great new Xara Charles, thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3Dphotos_my-edit.jpg 
Views:	895 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	47162  
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64