Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Problems with Extrude Tool

Just noticed some weird stuff with the extrusion tool.

The sliders in the extrusion toolbar allow you to change the extrusion depth and the bevel depth to values between 0 and 250. However, if you use the mouse to change these values with a click-and-drag or a control-click-and-drag, the values aren't constrained at 250, and can go quite high. The bevel depth seems to stop having a visible effect past 250, but you can create ridiculously huge extrusion depths this way.

Also while using the Control-Drag method to change the bevel depth, I get random weirdness where it seems to forget that I'm changing the bevel depth while I'm dragging the mouse.

For example if the cursor crosses another extruded object while I"m changing the bevel depth, it stops modifying bevel depth on the one object and starts to rotate the second object. Or if the mouse gets too close to the toolbar it selects the tool it's close to. Or the color editor spontaneously pops up to allow me to edit the contone color.

After this happens the 3D tool doesn't seem to want to let you change the bevel size with the mouse (The cursor shows you that the extrusion depth will be changed, and that's what changes when you drag) unless you tweak the setting first in the control bar.

Anyone else seeing anything like this?
    This signature would be seven words long if it was six words shorter.

Default Re: Problems with Extrude Tool

Sorry Odat, I can't replicate that behaviour.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

double clicking on the extrusion appears to bring up the color editor...

not yet had any of the other behaviour...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Also can not replicate the problem.
    -Samantha
    "Try to live your life so that you wouldn't be afraid to sell the family parrot to the town gossip." Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Double-clicking on the extrusion brings up the Colour editor with the local line colour selected, because the extrusion side (ie the line of the original shape) is what you clicked on. If you double-click on the face of an extrusion, the colour editor pops up with the local fill colour selected.

If the line width was zero, the side colour is the fill colour (or first fill colour if there is more than one, ie a non-flat fill), but the colour editor still pops up with line colour selected, except it has no colour.

Mike

And if you double-click on a light the colour editor is displayed for that light.

Oh and the fact you can drag on the object to create really larger values is deliberate. There are times when you might want a really large extrude. The slider range covers a more modest and more normal range.
    Last edited by Charles Moir; 29 March 2008 at 02:05 PM.

Yeah I figured the part about being able to make really deep extrudes was probably deliberate, though it does look a bit "weird" in the UI because the arrow vanishes from the slider.

Really the only problem I have with it is that the tool to interactively set the bevel depth is unusable since it pops up the color editor for no reason, selects other objects or picks new tools while I'm trying to use it. However the workaround for that is to just use the slider in the toolbar, and doing that I don't have to remember the key combination to make the drag work on the bevel depth, so that works out just fine for me!
    This signature would be seven words long if it was six words shorter.