Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: web page x4

Default Re: web page x4

The installer sometimes fails to register the HTML export dll. This will be fixed for the release next week.

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    Just making a quick page, somehow the text and the graphic got saved together and messed up. Has anyone else seen this ....
    I think that happens if you accidentally group the text together with an image. According to the release notes the export makes one image for every group, and one per non-text object that's not in a group.
    This signature would be seven words long if it was six words shorter.

It wasn't grouped Odat. I didn't save the original xar, but will try to recreate it and post the xar.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

OK it recreated quite easily .... Enclosed .xar and the relevant jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	47059  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Keith
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Tao,

THANKS for the example.

In my opinion, with this new upgrade to allow creation of html pages in Xara makes it increasingly important to add a spell-checker in a future release.

Thanks Xara Team for all the great features in the new release.

OK.

I've done some more testing. If the images are jpg's and they are 3D and angled. The HTML conversion will ALWAYS make the result square, even if the text intrudes into this space.

I have used Lorem Ipsum text, but I suspect that the resulting text would probably be meaningless.

I think that it's something that could be considered a "bug" and may need some more looking at.
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    If the images are jpg's and they are 3D and angled. The HTML conversion will ALWAYS make the result square, even if the text intrudes into this space.
    Seems to me there's little Xtreme can actually do about this. JPEGs can't do transparency, so if you've got text laid out behind them they're always going to obscure the text. It could work if the image was put behind the text, but then as it stands, 'repel text' on works on text behind an object.

The only real alternative would be to export *all* graphics as transparent PNG. Which would improve output, but vastly increase the size of pages using photos which is a very common use case.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland
    It's true, but 90% of people using Xtreme won't care.
    That's the problem! If a non-expert thinks they're making proper web sites using this, they'll have a rude awakening. It's a quick'n'dirty WYSImolWYG rapid prototyping tool, which is why it's great to have it there in the Export formats list, but it shouldn't really be pushed as a major application area.

Where this feature will be great for me is in the shortlist-design to mockup stage - where you want a functional page but where the CSS can be clunky.

I suspect that it will be worth putting just a few words of text where you want text to be on the page - this will be enough to put in a div. The other trick I will try is where you want a rounded corner box, breaking the box into top, bottom, left and right pieces - Xtreme hopefully then will do something which each of these - rather than creating one huge box. It's not Einstein after all!

I'll post when I have a go at this over the weekend.
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

WYSImolWYG ! !

and for those of use who need very quick non commercial websites it will be useful I am sure...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Bob is correct, JPEG have to be square because they do not support transparency, and so if there things around the edge on the page they will get rendered into the background of the JPEG.

The only answer to this is that the object be made into a PNG, which we do for most graphics, but not photos (assuming they are JPEGs already).

But there's a simple fix to force an image to be a PNG - and that's to give it a name 'PNG' (using Name 'tag' icon on the Selector Tool Infobar). Simple as that.

BTW the rule is that all graphics are exported as transparent PNGs except JPEG images which are kept as JPEG (although re-sampled to web resolution). In this case it's an extruded JPEG and so we could perhaps always make them PNGs as well, but keep in mind that PNGs take a lot more space than JPEGs, and not ideal for photos, even extruded ones.