Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Default Re: Xara Xtreme Pro Version 4 - Issue List

Please create a new thread if you have a new issues - dumping it all in to one mega mammoth thread will make for a difficult read.

Risto

Quote Originally Posted by Robert H View Post
    ...There was a registry entry...
    Thanks, that worked.

Risto: Isn't it better for the developers to have everything in one thread, so they don't have to keep track of 60 threads? If that's what they want, not a problem...

Quote Originally Posted by David O'Neil View Post
    Risto: Isn't it better for the developers to have everything in one thread, so they don't have to keep track of 60 threads? If that's what they want, not a problem...
    Bugzilla can be used to reference specific threads.

Once a thread has been looked at and acted upon - it can be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by David O'Neil View Post
    Thanks, that worked.
    It also saves time not having to read non-technical comments related to innumerable and different issues. Trying to figure out which comment goes with what in a 1000+ post / 100 page thread will also become a pain.

So, yes, please do create a new thread (with a meaningful title) if you have something that hasn't been brought up before (try to browse the forum first).

Risto
    Last edited by RTK; 29 March 2008 at 01:58 PM.

I'll post something in this thread about the text repelling issue since it has been addressed here.
    I'm using 96dpi fonts.

As was addressed by Bill, text repelling works on text inside a text area (when you draw a square with the text tool). It doesn't work correctly for me when I draw a line with the text tool to indicate the text's width, as far as I've seen.
    See images below. The star repels the text to a certain point and stops doing this from a certain paragraph onwards. Note that in both cases, the first 2 lines in the affected paragraph are repelled, but the third and other lines aren't.
    I've been able to reproduce this behaviour twice so far, but both times, the error in repelling occured in a different paragraph.
    Also note that if you copy & paste the text and shape into another document, the text is repelled correctly.
    I've attached a .xar. Hopefully others can see this effect too
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	text-repel.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	47363   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	text-repel2.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	47364  

Attached Files Attached Files

Your file loads with the non repelled star section off the page, text repelling isn't working 'off' the page in your file.
    When I move you star+text fully onto the page it works fine and repells as it should.

I also see that you have the text+star grouped & inside a clipviewed shape rather than a text column area? What was the reason you did it this way?

Creating a text colum area allows repelling off the page area and the repelling works fine all over the star as far as I can tell.

Note: Using a rectangle to clipview the text column area and arrive at something similar to your original, repells correctly.
    I believe therefore that text repelling only works correctly when contained in a text column area.
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 02 April 2008 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Your file loads with the non repelled star section off the page, text repelling isn't working 'off' the page in your file.
    When I move you star+text fully onto the page it works fine and repells as it should.

I also see that you have the text+star grouped & inside a clipviewed shape rather than a text column area? What was the reason you did it this way?

Creating a text colum area allows repelling off the page area and the repelling works fine all over the star as far as I can tell.
    Hah! Thanks Steve, it never occured to me the text repelling was limited to the page unless you use a text area. Very observant of you That solves this mystery.

The clipview was only to select and export the relevant part of the drawing; no special reasons for this. It's so that the image doesn't become too big for the forum without having to crop it after export.

Quote Originally Posted by wuerthne View Post
    Well, Tahoma does not have a BoldItalic variant. On my system, Tahoma does not even have an Italic variant. So, this is not Xtreme's fault but your font's.

In pre-4.0 versions, Xtreme asked Windows to synthesize bold or italic variants that were not available, but the results of artificially emboldening/italicizing a font are not great and one would also assume that the designer of the font must have had a reason for not offering these variants. Synthesized variants cannot be exported to PDF either, so it was decided to remove them altogether. In Xtreme 4 you can use all the variants that the font provides (you can find them in the font's submenu) and instead of synthesizing a low quality substitute for variants that are not available you now get a warning.

Martin (responsible for Xtreme's font and text handling)
    Yikes, put it back, please! Or at the very least give me an option to open my pre 4.0 documents properly by converting the text to path or something. I use bold and italic a lot, and personally don't give a <insert naste word here> about PDF export. Best would be if we could choose whether or not to use artificial emboldening/italicizing in the options screen. I wouldn't mind if you included a bunch of warnings about no-PDF-export, old-and-crappy-code, terribly-ugly-results etc., just put it back...
    Last edited by itsfransie; 02 April 2008 at 11:01 AM.

Can you convert your pre 4 doc text to editable shapes in version 3 before you open them in Xtreme4 - no?

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Can you convert your pre 4 doc text to editable shapes in version 3 before you open them in Xtreme4 - no?
    Sure, but it's fiddly business. "Fixing" bold is a simple matter of applying an outline, but italic is more complex if the words in italics are part of a larger piece of text, as shearing affects the entire object, not just the selected words.

Plus I find having multiple versions of Xtreme installed confusing at times.

I know garbage code can be a PITA (I'm a programmer), but backwards compatibility would be very nice to have.
    Last edited by itsfransie; 02 April 2008 at 11:19 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by itsfransie View Post
    but backwards compatibility would be very nice to have.

I agree.
    Though sometimes you have sever some old ties in order to move forwards.