Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thumbs down X2: Peculiar text-adding behavior

Is anyone else having issues with adding text in X2?

It's riddled with bugs I think. When I add text, the moment I hit the Apply button, some effect is automatically applied to the text (looks a bit like drop-shadow):

http://www.airhostone.net/dump/issue.png

Strangely enough, it's normally only noticeable on bold text.

I've tried playing around with all the text-related options, anti-aliasing and so on but no luck.

Also, when the 'Remember text' option is set and I click to add more text, it previews the previous text on the image but the text-box is blank and I can't remove the previous text!

I very much hate Corel, everything with PSP was going fine until they took over (doubt it's just a co-incidence).
    Last edited by E71; 20 March 2008 at 09:43 PM.
    IP

Default Re: X2: Peculiar text-adding behavior

Do you have a Stroke set and What colour? for best text Don't use any stroke unless you want an Outline.
    Check each and every option on the tool bar and Materials pallet (texture) to ensure you are actually getting what you think you are getting
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Trev View Post
    Do you have a Stroke set and What colour? for best text Don't use any stroke unless you want an Outline.
    Check each and every option on the tool bar and Materials pallet (texture) to ensure you are actually getting what you think you are getting
    Thanks for the reply, however here's my setup:

Stroke: 0.0
    Foreground Color: Disabled
    Background Color: Solid Black (0,0,0)
    Background Color set to Fill (not Texture or Gradient)
    Anti-alias: (Tried all three options)
    Create as: (Tried all three options)

No luck I'm afraid.

What's the world come to when the most basic (add text) function no longer works, huh?

I think maybe I should send a bug report to Corel or something, or just switch to Photoshop after 12 years.
    IP

I am unable to re-produce the problem. Have you just installed anything new (hardware or software). Could it possibly be a monitor issue? What is your display resolution? There is a Monitor Calibration in PSP X2. Have you looked at that? Maybe something in that could help.
    Joe
    IP

The image you posted does not Help owing to size Can you post me a Psp image of the text So that I can see what the settings are when i do Edit Text
    trevbowden@dsl.pipex.com
    IP

Thanks for the suggestions fellas, however I just noticed it only affects some fonts (also, it does not affect vectors). Still, it shouldn't show one thing when previewing then another after applying... should it? (I don't recall such issue in previous versions)

Anyway, I'm using 3 different monitors (1280x1024/1680x1050/1280x1024) and the problem persists on all 3 -- still looking for the calibrator tool though.

Regarding a sample PSP file: I've attached one to this post if it helps. The unaffected lines use Arial font, the affected lines use Segoe Media Center font.

Thanks for the help.

P.S. The font used in the image I posted earlier is Microsoft Sans Serif, so, pretty basic font.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    IP

Not really sure what the monitor calibration does to be honest. Haven't researched it and never used it, but the name sounds like it may be worth looking into. Anyway it can be found under File -> Color Management -> Monitor Calibration.
    Joe
    IP

E71,

You're not alone.

I had the same problem occuring with PSP X, and I just installed PSP X2 only to find the issue still exists. Text was applying normally two weeks ago, now it's adding a little drop shadow to certain fonts, only when in bold, and only when the text is applied. It looks similar to the "shadow" format available in Word, and it only affects some fonts, not others. Not different font types, not different file formats, just others - no discernable reason for it yet. MS Sans Serif is just one of many, like Impact, Futura, and Franklin Gothic, that are affected. Arial, Tahoma, the 6 C's and Palatino, for example, aren't affected.

I removed the last 3 versions of PSP and then reinstalled, starting back from PSP 9 (pre-Corel). The problem still exists in all versions, which makes me believe that it's not a PSP issue per se, but another application/modification that affects the way Windows renders fonts. I'm reviewing everything that was installed in the last few weeks and seeing if there's been any significant changes.

What other graphics/editing programs are you using?
    Last edited by Dr. Lee; 03 April 2008 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Reinstall information &
    IP