Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Logo is not high res 300 dpi when exporting in eps for printing

Hello,
    I'm new to Xara Extreme. I designed a logo for our association. This logo is supposed to be printed on a number of marketing items (mostly paper). I need to export it to eps for the printer but he keeps telling me that the file is not saved in high res 300 dpi and the colors are not in CMYK. I'm confused because I do select 300 dpi when doing the export and I have selected CMYK as the color model when designing the logo.

I tried to export it to psd so that a graphic artirst friend of mine could work with it. He also tells me that the psd is not a high res 300 dpi design and that the colors are in RGB.

Can Xara Xtreme let me create a high res 300 dpi design in CMYK? If so, how cna I do this? Thank for your help in advance. I'm attaching the xar and psd files as well as the True font (zipped) I'm using for the "XP Day" part.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by sandrine; 20 March 2008 at 06:41 AM.

Default Re: Logo is not high res 300 dpi when exporting in eps for printing

Hi sandrine, welcome to TG

Have you tried .tiff?

See screenshot
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tiff.png 
Views:	256 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	46758  

I can not understand why your graphic friend has a problem with this logo as it opened up for me in Photoshop at 4.35 inches and 300 dpi this must OK for size for a logo.
    OK so the file is in RGB that can quickly be converted to CMYK and if he duplicates the file before conversion he could use the RGB file as a reference for adjusting the blues in the CMYK file.
    However you saved the file the colour blue you have chosen is out of the printable range of most printers so you are going to have to compromise a bit on the final colours of the logo.

agreed - opened 300dpi at 11.03x5 cm [4.353x1.97 inches] - fine I would have thought, unless it is intended to print at a larger size?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thank you for your prompt answers! These are helpful. I exported the file in TIFF as you suggested, this way, we managed to keep the 300 dpi resolution but still not the CMYK colors. So, we're in the process of adusting the colors in photoshop right now. Indeed, we will need to compromise on the crispness of the blue. Too bad. I really liked that blue :-)

While I'm at it, here is another question. How about pantone colors? It seems like the spectrum of pantone colors is much larger than the CMYK model. My printer asked me for pantone OR CMYK colors. Since I have no idea how to give him pantone colors (not an option in Xara), I just stuck with CMYK. Any suggestions on how to do this? note: I'm a programmer, not a graphic artist... still so much to learn.

Pantone Colour matching sets/libraries are available via the Colour Gallery.

Colours are matched by PMS values.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pantonegallery.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	46765  

The Pantones are only available in XXPro. If you have XX Standard they are not available.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

yes they were in x1 - taken out in xtreme 2 for some reason - and then put back in xtremepro
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Yes correct - sandrine is using Xara Xtreme 3.2.4 3.2.4.3017 DL. Pantone libraries are not available

Preview your colors in simulated CMYK color space. Window > Show Printer Colors > Simulate Print Colors. This will provide a more accurate approximation of how your colors will look in CMYK. There is a big difference. Especially with blues, greens and purples.

Another thing that sometimes happens with EPS files is when the printer places the file in Quark or InDesign, he or she sees the low resolution preview image which is just used for placement and not for printing.

In this case, PDF/X is your best bet.

Gary