Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
    A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

Default How Magix Xtreem ruined my life....

OK...Maybe it didn't ruin my life...but definitely my day. A few months ago, I downloaded and installed Magix Xtreem (MX) to test it out (as I speak German) and wanted to demo it for the kind folks here on TG. As MX turned out to be a watered down version XXP, I didn't really open it after the first few times. Reciently I decided to delete the unused trial program from my hard drive. Today I opened XXP and tried to use XPE but it wouldn't open. "program not registered or some such nonsense"... "Easy" I think...I just need to reinstall the program.... Easier though than done. I can't uninstall, as I get some other error about "could not read from [some] location on the hard drive". So now I have XXP and can open and use it but nothing in the Utilities menu, as just opening the utilities menu checks for the registered bitmap editor. Also I can't uninstall or reinstall....so I'm bummed out...
    I will also open a ticket with Xara (Though finding there option to open a ticket is hard enough to find), but I wanted to post here in case anybody has any thoughts on helping me with my problem.

thanks,

Eric
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    Web Templates. My Beginner Video Tutorials
    My Club. My Album.
    My Other Album. My Tutorial.

Default Re: How Magix Xtreem ruined my life....

Try installing it into a slightly different location on the hard drive rather than the default.
    That way it should install as a completely separate and distinct program from the original install. ( I believe )
    - Andy

Unhappy Re: How Magix Xtreem ruined my life....

I had a similar problem. I deleted magix photo editor and entered the world of pain you described.

As I remember I finally 'solved' the issue by turning off the UAC on Vista and re-istalling xtreme. It only works properly with the UAC off so off it shall stay.
    A bit pants really but at least Xara runs and I get to see xar file thumbnails in Vistas explorer.

The name and location of the bitmap editor is held in the registry - if you know how to edit the registry you can change the program being used.

Christine

I think thats right - you can re-set the xxp bitmap editor to xpe from 3rd party editor [adobe PS] using regedit under windows XP - have just checked that out and it appears to work - it may be you just need reinsert the relevant entry - or change its value
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by bcire68 View Post
    Today I opened XXP and tried to use XPE but it wouldn't open. "program not registered or some such nonsense"...
    XPE is asking or Xtreme? Xtreme checks for (registry) association with .xar and .web files.
    MX probably held these associations before you removed it.

I can't uninstall, as I get some other error about "could not read from [some] location on the hard drive".
    This can happen if a file/folder or .dll is still open and locked in memory.
    Re booting your PC will generally clear this error.

So now I have XXP and can open and use it but nothing in the Utilities menu, as just opening the utilities menu checks for the registered bitmap editor. Also I can't uninstall or reinstall....so I'm bummed out...
    Instead of trying to uninstall Xtreme manually, run the XaraXtreme setup first. This will cause the setup routine to attempt to remove any detected existing installation. Have you tried this route? I suggest you re boot your PC before you try this.
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 18 March 2008 at 06:50 PM. Reason: typos