Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default add new point to the end of a line

Hi,

I want to add a new point to the end of a line. I select the line, switch to the shape editor, select one end of the line (red rectangle), and now i click a bit further away in the empty space, which should extend my line, but it doesnt, it just places a new red rectangle where i have just clicked, but it is not connected to my line. What am i doing wrong?

thanks!

Matt

Default Re: add new point to the end of a line

is it still a 'line' or has it been converted to a 'shape' - if so you cannot extend it this way as far as I know
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hi Matt,

Try changing your order -- select the line, now select one end of the line (with line selected and you will see the red square appear), now select the shape editor tool. If you click further away, you will extend your line.

Your line wasn't selected... I would select it with the selector tool, then click on the end node and then your line can be extended. What you ended up doing was starting a second line.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

Or it could be that you've created two nodes, one on top (or very close) to the other. Select a node further down the line and click the Tab key. This will move you through to the next node down the line. Continue doing this. Often you will see nodes that are invisible within the Shape Editor tool because there's one on top of another.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I have never seen a node on top of one another, but pretty durn close it. Being able to zoom to 25601% will separate most nodes so you can pick one. While testing this theory, the only way I could get a node on top of a node was to have snap to guidelines on and click on the juction between 2 guidelines (xara was placing the nodes not I). Other than that I couldn't do it, the natural wobble of my hand gave me something to zoom in on.

When I draw with the freehand brush I can get a line that back tracks on itself, and that makes finding the ending node a pain.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by raynerj1 View Post
    ...and that makes finding the ending node a pain.
    Did you see the tip two days ago about entering the shape editor, selecting any node, and then pressing the 'End' key to take you to the end of the line?

Hi David, missed that one. Home or End work great. It's quicker than my method. It's just remembering these short cuts in my advancing years.

John,
    I have never seen a node on top of one another
    They tend to do it mainly with the lights out. I use subtract shapes a lot and it would appear to be a by-product of this operation. So in Shape Editor tool you drag select over the whole shape, these overlaid nodes don't display visibly and only become apparent when you Tab through the nodes. If I remember, next time I find one I'll post it.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

No sooner said than done John. Here's a xar file that doesn't show nodes because their almost on top of each other which is very misleading to a novice.

Can you open the attached xar and see if you get the same results at 100% zoom.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

tricky little critters ain't they EGG

PS - I thought after Northern Rock the light was out Darling permanently
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...