Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Logo

Default Re: Logo

Thanks again for all the comments.

David, I have changed the colors. I had tried this combination initially but the dagger part didn't strike me...thanks for pointing that out. As regards the image part, I was not very inclined on keeping it. I would like the writing to be little artistic/flowing and thats the reason I am not choosing any bold font (as in Josie's design.)

Bob, I like your design, but I am not keen on keeping the background solid card logo, rather just the words so that it takes the background image (with transparency).

sledger, your designs are quite good as always. Somehow, for this logo/site-name part, I do not want to use any given font but create my own. Also the site will offer more than just the cards...like reminders, wallpaper etc...so a 'fixed' card image may not suffice.

Just my few cents...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	logo3.gif 
Views:	201 
Size:	5.0 KB 
ID:	46679  

Hi again

I admire your idea of a hand-written look but it needs to be 'perfect' and your idea is too wobbly. If you can't find a friend with a pen-and-ink ability then try taking a hand-written font and then breaking it to give it a looser feel. I've attached a Caslon example - I have left these as is.

And red/green is bad for colour blind people - it apparently just looks like two shades of sludge!

Most of us do 10 or 20 ideas and variations in a single colourway... Then shortlist those, and do more variations... then play with colour.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by a-w View Post
    I do not want to use any given font but create my own. Also the site will offer more than just the cards...like reminders, wallpaper etc...so a 'fixed' card image may not suffice.
    Fair enough - but that does change the entire purpose of a logo.
    'Card-Perfect' does suggest cards so it's natural that everyone thought of them.
    In the sign industry, creating a hand-drawn unique font is quite rare indeed. Remember you can always modify a current font once you convert it to editable shapes.

The idea of a hand-written text is sound.
    Given that cards mostly have a hand-written
    message, this works well.
    I agree with Simon that unless you are good at
    calligraphy, then a ready-made font is probably a better idea.
    I have chosen Lucida Handwriting Italic for the font,
    it's included with Windows, I think, or at least it's freely available.
    I made only slight adjustments to the tracking and
    rotated it a few degrees.
    The more ideas you can choose from, the better.
    Saludos,
    Bob.

Name:	card.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	46686   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	card4.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	46688  

Last edited by iamtheblues; 17 March 2008 at 09:20 PM. Reason: adding graphic
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Quote Originally Posted by a-w View Post
    okkkk, thanks for all the suggestions, comments and everything in between...

I have changed the design. I may even drop the drawing part from the logo below and just keep the written part with the first letters (C & P) as the logo. Who knows...I may still change it.
    Personally I think the drawing part looks pretty damn good, maybe a little oriental but taking the line out on the inner page that runs parallel with the top on the front page would take that away. I’d build on that drawing more than concentrating on getting a logo from the c and the p…….

Here's an idea showing a flowing hand written style that could be developed further

Name:	cp2.png 
Views:	186 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	46689  

Based on suggestions here, I have modified the logo a bit. I like these two fonts but I believe they are not free. I will possibly change the font or may use my own...

Regarding the colors & color blindness...thats a good point but the website has these two primary colors so I would prefer to use these colors.

In case I need to edit the available fonts, I go to arrange --> convert to editable shape --> ungroup (twice). This creates a "closed" shape of the text. Is there a way to convert this to a "line" so that the ends can be extended?

Name:	logo4.gif 
Views:	159 
Size:	4.3 KB 
ID:	46731  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hi

Good progress!

By making text into 'editable shapes' that is just what you are making - a shape and not a line. So F4 on the character will reveal the control points and you can select and drag two of them to stretch the character.

Name:	Capture2.JPG 
Views:	152 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	46734  
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk