Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Flickering

Default Re: Flickering

what I appear to see is a 'flicker' in the sense that, at the point at which the object is red and the cursor passes back over or very near to it the object appears to be suddenly redrawn

that could be a memory issue [too many other things running?] or a graphics card issue as mentioned

but... it could be something else... from the video it is not possible for me to say anything more positive, sorry
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hi,

This is probably due to the capturing program settings are set to low(bitrate,framerate,quality,....)

Or using a low codec to record
    or maybe the settings for directshow or openGL are changed?

If you open the avi file in a video editor, does it have some blank frames?
    If so delete them and your movie will play without the flicker.

Hans

I think you've misundertood Haakoo. The flickering issue is with Xtreme. Bob just recorded this and made an .avi for uploading here so we can see what was happening in Xtremes Windows. His .avi is for our review purposes only.

Bob, one thing might be worth a check, have you changed anything in Options under the Tune-up tab? Screenshot shows the defaults for this setting on my PC.
    (Edit: I notice your OP you stated "My percentage of memory is still set at 25%" - is this what you were referring to?)

Though I played around here and it didn't seem to make any detectable difference.

As I now understand it, display problems in Xtreme are almost always due to faults within the program - not the video drivers. Nearly everything you see in an Xtreme window is rendered by Xara's own routines, the image is then sent to the screen by the video drivers. This the only major involvement by the video drivers and is so simple that it's very unlikely to go wrong.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	redraw.png 
Views:	226 
Size:	12.2 KB 
ID:	46559  
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 14 March 2008 at 08:05 AM.

Hi,

It's not in Xara,see attached

Hans
    Attached Files Attached Files

Sorry Hans. May I express it another way?
    Bob created the .avi to show us what is happening in Xtreme when he draws simple shapes.
    Making the avi was his way of letting us see what he is seeing.
    Bobs avi is not the issue or the subject of the OP.

Steve - that info you gave in post #24 is useful to know - one of those little 'backwaters' of xara I have never [yet] explored - thanks
    Nothing lasts forever...

So it seems I'm not awake yet,better put in a cup or two
    Sorry for that.

Maybe try with http://technet.microsoft.com/nl-nl/s...lt(en-us).aspx to see if some prog is running the memory(vidcard) to a standstill.
    Or in the system settings if the settings are for programs or background-services
    You could take a look at the direct draw,opengl settings as well

Hans

nice link - thanks for that too
    Nothing lasts forever...

From the helpfile

Cache Control
    Xara Xtreme Pro includes powerful caching support that was not available in any earlier versions of the application. Complex objects including layers, groups, bevels, shadows, blends, moulds, contours, ClipViews and Live Effects can be cached as bitmaps when they are rendered. This means that the next time these objects need to be redrawn, the bitmap can often be used instead of re-rendering the objects, making redraws and object drags very much faster. The difference is particularly noticeable with complex documents.

Since caching involves storing additional bitmaps in memory, it has the potential to increase the amount of memory used by Xara Xtreme Pro significantly. Therefore in this dialog you can turn caching on and off and you can also control how much memory is used for caching when it's turned on. Increase the percentage memory figure to make Xara Xtreme Pro cache more objects in your design, generally making redraws and object drags faster at the expense of larger memory usage. Or reduce it to lower the amount of memory that Xara Xtreme Pro uses for caching. In complex designs some cacheable objects will not be cached if there is insufficient memory to do so.

This dialog also shows you how much memory is currently being used for caching.

Live drag is described in Chapter Document Handling.
    Note: cached bitmaps will only be used during object dragging if you use Live Drag. If you have Live Drag turned off, then as you would expect you will just see the outlines of objects when moving them.