Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Xtreme Pro demo basic ?

Cliff Welcome to Talkgraphics!

I think in you second question you where asking about manuals/tutorials. In that reguard Xara does better than all the others... The help menu is very good, but as exciting as help menus get.

The Videos, on the other hand are very good and informational. Between the movies and the help files most computer graphics folk need little else to start drawing.

If you are a pen/pencil/brush artist, then using a computer might take a little while to become accustomed too.

If you want to draw, but have no idea how... Or would like to hit the ground running then go to the http://www.xaraxone.com/ and there you will find over 100 step by step tatorials on how to draw almost everything by some very talented artists The main artist being Mr Gary Preister who can make this program sit up and beg. What is even better he shows you how to do it step by step in his tuts.

IF you need more than that, there is always this forum where you have xara users from around the world that typically answer your queries quickly and many times with two or three different ways to accomplish your task.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

Post Where is...

Thank you for all the info. Xtreme Pro is a great addition to my limited world of graphics. This forum and other tutorial sites are fantastic tools. My next question (sorry) is...WHERE is the crop tool icon? Is it possible the 3.2 DEMO version omits the ability to crop an image? I have viewed the"button" icon panel and just about every other help/tutorial and can't locate it. Please tell me it's NOT included in the demo so I don't feel overly ignorant the rest of the weekend.

John,I checked out the pics on your site. Having recently moved from rural Montana to urban Minneapolis makes me appreciate your great SD photos even more. Thanks for the link.

Any crop location info accepted...Cliff

Cliff - you crop in xara by using subtract or intersect shapes [John calls this slice and dice ]

basically you place a rectangle say, over the image you wish to crop

if the rectangle has no fill you can see better what you are doing

select both rectangle and image - and intersect [control+3] to crop - or subtract [control+2] to remove - the rectangle area from the image
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

You can also crop an imported raster image by double clicking the image. That will open XPE (Xara Picture Editor). Use XPE's crop tool to drag over the portion you want. Edit the crop selection by draging on the corner or side handles. When you have the area you want click the Crop button. Click the red Check icon to accept the changes and return to Xara Xtreme.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Further to Steve's post you can achieve the same results via the menu bar going Arrange/Combine Shapes/.... Often the menu driven command makes more sense to the user than the short-cut keys.

Also remember that the best tool in XXP is the Undo button. If you select the wrong Combine Shapes function, click undo.
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 15 March 2008 at 07:48 PM.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Cliff,

You don't have to crop with a rectangle or square, you can use any shape as a "cookie cutter" when you slice and dice. Do a search for slice and dice here and you will find several different ways to do it. See attached pic...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sliced rose.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	12.4 KB 
ID:	46643   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sliceanddice.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	46644  

Last edited by raynerj1; 16 March 2008 at 06:11 AM.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    You can also crop an imported raster image by double clicking the image. That will open XPE (Xara Picture Editor). Use XPE's crop tool to drag over the portion you want. Edit the crop selection by draging on the corner or side handles. When you have the area you want click the Crop button. Click the red Check icon to accept the changes and return to Xara Xtreme.
    Bill, is this "drag" feature in version 3.0.2.781? All I seem to be able to do is type in new dimensions, no dragging at all.

Name:	_Image1 USE for Xara posts.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	46648  
    -=Bob=-

That's odd. I have the thirds drag-to-crop rectangle in X1 even?

You don't get the cross-hairs when you hove your cursor over the image?

Attached is screenshot of v3.2.4 XPE crop window

Name:	dragcrop.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	158.9 KB 
ID:	46649  

I have a feeling - and I could be totally wrong - that as xpe is a 'stand-alone' application, all versions of xara that are installed on the machine will use the latest version of xpe that has been installed - this being governed by the registry?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

No, as seen here below my cursor is in the bitmap area and there are no crosshairs.

Name:	_Image1 USE for Xara posts.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	46652  
    -=Bob=-