Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Access violation - heeelp?

Sledger, I dl'd/installed ExpandXar and read the ReadMe file. When I double click or select Open for the .exe file all I get is a QUICK flash on the screen of a DOS box and then nothing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_Image1 USE for Xara posts.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	16.4 KB 
ID:	46547  
    -=Bob=-

Bob the ExpandXar.exe is a command line utility program. To use it open a Command Prompt (DOS window). Use the DOS CD command to change to the directory where the corrupt file is located.

If the expandxar.exe is not in that directory as well, it must be in the command path.

At the command prompt you can type the word path and hit the enter key to see which directories are in the command path.

To use expandxar.exe the command line to type would be similar to:

C:> expandxar corrupt.xar expanded.xar

That is external command (the .exe filename)
    the file that may be corrupt
    then the filename for the expanded (and hopefully fixed) filename.

If expandxar.exe cannot read the file or encounters errors they will be shown in the command window.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

hmmm, I was thinking, if you guys have access to a version of the file that "still" working, can you perhaps see what could be the issue?

I attach the file - just in case.......

Helle *hoping to know how to avoid this in the future"
    Attached Files Attached Files

Yikers, Bill. That is a mouthful. I printed it out and will check into that tomorrow when I am more alert.....
    -=Bob=-

Using the command line can be a little confusing/daunting to many I agree.
    What Xara and TG really needs is some smart cookie to develop a small front-end UI for the ExpandXar utility. This would greatly increase the use of and success rate of the repair tool I'm certain..

Sounds like a job for AccessD!!! (Is that his name?)
    -=Bob=-

You can try the attached app. It's just a simple front end for the expandxar.exe I put together this morning. Extract the exe from the attached zip and put the expandxarfe.exe and the expandxar.exe into the same folder and run expandxarfe.exe. Give it a source file and an output file and it will "feed" those to the original executable. If it is able to expand your xar file it will say so in the memo field at the bottom of the screen. If it hits an error it should display that in the memo field at the bottom.

This is just a front end, if the original expandxar.exe couldn't fix your xar file before, then using the front end won't help any now. Also, no warranties on this front end, use at your own discretion!

Stan

Oh, and because of the way this front end works, it may or may not work in vista on a regular user account. I won't be at my vista machine until later so I can't test it now. You may have to run the front end as administrator in order for it to work.
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 12 May 2008 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Attachment Removed ~ Posters request ~ Egg

Stan - Excellent!! http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/icons/icon14.gifhttp://www.talkgraphics.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

Works fine in Vista, though I do have UAC switched off.

This ought to be made available at the Xone.

Thank you for donating your time and efforts..

NOTE:
    Stan one small problem, the folder from which expandxarfe.exe runs appears to be locked due to the console input method editor (conime.exe) not terminating properly. Trying to move or delete the contain folder holds explorer.exe open too.
    Hope this helps
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	locked.png 
Views:	216 
Size:	13.0 KB 
ID:	46566  
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 14 March 2008 at 05:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Stan one small problem, the folder from which expandxarfe.exe runs appears to be locked due to the console input method editor (conime.exe) not terminating properly. Trying to move or delete the contain folder holds explorer.exe open too.
    Hope this helps
    Thanks for the info. Seems OK on XP but I was expecting some issues with vista. I'll look at it on a vista machine tonight and see if I can fix that. Anyone else have any problems with it let me know.

Stan

Edit: I googled this and it appears to be a known problem with console apps on vista not releasing the conime process. I've got some code that will probably fix it but I'll have to get on a vista machine to be able to troubleshoot it. If you are using vista you might wait to use the front end app until I get this addressed, however, it won't hurt anything other than locking the folder you are in temporarily. If you are on XP you should be good to go with the current version.
    Last edited by standay; 14 March 2008 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Update information

Hey guys

ehhh, did anybody give the cobra file a look to see what caused the error?

Helle :-)