Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Rotating objects around nodes

To relocate the start/end point, I think you have to use the shape editor to break the outline -- isn't that right? And since you're in that mode anyway, you can just hit 'enter' -- then go back to the freehand tool.

A related keyboard sequence I use all the time is 'end' then 'enter' (also in shape edit mode) to close a line into a shape. This allows me to keep the registry entry for 'Freehand end hit-detect' set wider, so close lines don't automatically connect. (I use a quick mouse gesture to switch from freehand to shape editor (to close the shape) then back to freehand.)

Yes Ned you are right - it works ok, just not always - nothing to worry about unless you are doing something complex, in my experience

I have the registry setting adjusted too - personally, as I do a lot of freehand work, I would like to be able to set this to zero sometimes so that the lines never join - would make sketching grass and hair for example as lot quicker and more natural than hitting esc all the time
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    I have the registry setting adjusted too - personally, as I do a lot of freehand work, I would like to be able to set this to zero sometimes so that the lines never join - would make sketching grass and hair for example as lot quicker and more natural than hitting esc all the time
    Vectors have traditionally been used for carefully constructed design work, but I know people are increasingly discovering vectors for freehand drawing and cartooning. As the fastest and most spontaneous vector app, this is right up Xara's alley. One sticking point however is that Xara doesn't have a good solution for keeping individual lines separate. IMO there's not a good compromise setting for 'Freehand end hit-detect'. It would be better to keep the 'hit-detect' wide so lines intended to join into shapes would do so easily; and to add a toolbar button to automatically deselect the most recent line (like SmartDraw and perhaps others already have) -- which allows a series of hatch marks etc, to remain separate lines.

in another thread a month or two back when this was discussed - xara indicated that they would consider making the 'freehand end hit-detect' setting user definable within the UI in due course

it would suit me if this included a setting to switch it off completely, if that is practical codewise

agreed: automatically deselect most recent line is good too

programs like expression3 allow you to draw vector lines with selection deactivated - this also means there are no nodes visible to obscure what you are doing
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...