Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: PDF Font Import

Default PDF Font Import

When importing a PDF into Xara, if any of the fonts used in the PDF are not installed on my PC then the document properties will show me, and Extreme Pro will substitute a similar font where necessary.

All well and good until you come to export the the file later as a PDF, when embedding the font won't work as it is not installed on my PC. I could turn all text to objects but then the file size tends to go sky high.

Does anyone know a "global" way of changing the offending font to one that is installed on my PC without having to hunt through every page looking for text that is still set to the problem font .... and without having to buy the particular font? It took me 6 hrs to hunt through 10 pages today.

Incidentally I was changing the PDF for a friend who "owned" the PDF, but had lost the original file and programme that it was generated from.

Default Re: PDF Font Import

If I recall correctly, the Name Gallery can be used to easily select everything in the entire file that uses a particular font. Once you've done that you can of course easily use the text tool to change the font to one that you have.

I don't have a windows machine handy at the moment to give you any screen shots, unfortunately.
    This signature would be seven words long if it was six words shorter.

Odat is correct..
    Here's a screen shot to assist..

Once you selected the non-installed fonts, simply select a replacement from your font list.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	namegallery.png 
Views:	168 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	46436  

Oh darn .... it's so easy when you know how.

Really wish I'd asked the question 6 hrs ago now.

Many thanks to both of you ... that's going to save me hours in the future.