Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Why Xara over Ill/Corel? (Complete noob Q.)

For me the use of transparencies and feathering is easier and more intuitive. I also have been using Xara for much longer on a regular basis than CorelDraw or Illustrator.

To me the tweaking of a mesh and assigning colours to nodes within the mesh is too mechanical. Easier for me to draw a shape and assign a transparency and/or feathering. It feels more like using traditional media to shade or highlight in charcoal and pencil or using pastels.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by AngelicLight View Post
    (Hey, BONES - nice to see someone here from KVR and Cockos. "PaulG" is my username over there but that username was taken here and "AngelicLight" is the only other one I can remember! )
    Welcome, PaulG. There are more of us here ;-) I did my eXT skins with Xara, REAPER skin is planned for this spring.

I keep llustrator as a compatibility tool, but all vector work for web & print, 1-2 page layouts and sketching I do in Xara. Screenshots as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    For me the use of transparencies and feathering is easier and more intuitive. I also have been using Xara for much longer on a regular basis than CorelDraw or Illustrator.

To me the tweaking of a mesh and assigning colours to nodes within the mesh is too mechanical. Easier for me to draw a shape and assign a transparency and/or feathering. It feels more like using traditional media to shade or highlight in charcoal and pencil or using pastels.
    I fully agree with this.

I have to say that I cannot believe the amount of support in both the userbase and online (free) tutorials and instruction for Xara. It's just immense. I've worked with tons of other programs in other subject areas and I have not seen the likes of this even close.

Even many of the 3D programs, costly as they are, have paid training that you'd think would serve the program by making it available to all for nothing.

I say this because this has been the shortest time from initial introduction to decision that I've ever had on any program, and I've got a background and work in computers so I come in contact with a lot of software.

Beyond the program itself being spectacular, with the amount and quality of tutorials and forum input that seems to occur, I don't see how anyone can't master the program in a very short amount of time compared to something like Illustrator or other software.

Thanks to all who replied here! Very friendly and informative forum!

- A

You mention layers earlier and a few people posted. I would say Xara's use of layers needs work. Ill and Corel both implement this better. For the most part though, I don't think you would be disappointed in Xara based on what you'll be using it for.

Red

Big Plan Creative - Napoleon had one . . . Einstein had one . . . Do you have one?