Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Confused

Default Confused

Hi, I have just retired & would like Learn to create vector drawings in the style of Wendy Pini's Elfquest, learn to animate my own drawings & see where it leads. I know this might be a lot to do, but I have now the time to try. I have had XaraXtreme for years and have just started to learn to use it.

My problem is that there is to much information on the web to get thru. And ofcourse everyone wants to sell you there course, so could anyone help me as to where to start. I do want to use Xara, but there again as a newbe the amount of information - where do I start? Graham

Default Re: Confused

Hi Graham,

Welcome to Talkgraphics.

If you have not already viewed the movies accessed from the Help menu. That is a good place to see how the program works.

Familiarize yourself with the tools. Play around with the Rectangle Tool, and the other tools and the Infobar shown when a tool is selected. Check out Xara Help for the tools.

When you feel comfortable with how to use the tools then Select one of Gary Priester's tutorials on the XaraXone and follow the instructions. When you have completed the tutorial play around with some variations of some of the steps.

You cannot break the program and the Undo button can take you back to a previous point in a drawing. Simply playing around with different tools, colours, and transparencies leads to some very impressive images.
    Last edited by Soquili; 20 February 2008 at 01:39 AM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

You might check this post which asks a similar new to Xara question

http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=31310

Graham,

Check out the Workbooks, always a treat. Just did Gary's Yin & Yang in this month's workbook.

Jim Toal

I also enjoyed doing the yin yang in Gary's workbook this month. Creating a beveled look without using the bevel tool is a treat.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Graham,

I agree, playing with the Tutorials in XaraXone whether they be Tutorials, Guest Tutorials or workbooks, they are definitely the way to learn what the program can do.

Note: When you open the Tutorials, you will see January 2008. If you click on the "Tutorials" Button above, you will get monthly tutorials back to January 1996. Choose anything that takes your fancy, and jump in.

Xara Xtreme is a really intuitive program. You'll be comfortable with it in no time, and if you ever get stuck, there is always someone on Talkgraphics who will help.

Bill: You have the URL wrong for XaraXone in your post!
    Last edited by ss-kalm; 20 February 2008 at 03:28 PM.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Hello Graham,
    Welcome to Talkgraphics.
    I suggest you just start using the tools and check out the movies in the Help menu in case you end up stuck. The program is very intuitive and almost all operations are logic and natural.
    For any specific problems /questions you may encounter, post here again. I´m sure someone will be willing to help (probably a lot more people that you will ever need )
    Most of all have fun!

Yin and Yang, completed, even used it as an avatar, with Gary's blessing, of course.

Hi, This is Graham again & thanks for the replies.
    I am new to forums so please excuse my mistakes. I have played with Xara & learned much from to movies & that was great - but I was looking more in the way to approach the best way to get a freehand sketch onto the program,[ie draw it by hand, then scan it into the computer, then covert to vectors - Draw art in the program, then convert, and there are surely ways that I do not Know]
    I want to create some of my own characters, invent a story, then make them move [beats watching TV]
    Thanks again for your replies, Graham.

There are a few (probably quite a few) people here who do just that. Gnurf (Paul Söderholm) has done a wonderful tutorial in the XaraXone that is probably perfect for you. Take a look at http://www.xaraxone.com/guest/guest62/
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.