Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Text Spacing (Kerning/Tracking) Settings Lost

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Yes the header in my .xar files match the version I have installed:

Xara Xtreme Pro 3.2.4 3.2.4.3017 CD
    Can anyone explain, why mine do not.
    Is there even such a thing as Xara Xtreme 3?
    I see Pro 3, but no Xtreme 3.

I am going to put my old system back together today, and check things out there.

I did notice somthing interesting. When I check the properties of the Xtreme.exe in C:\Program Files, and click compatibility, there is an option to "Run this program in compatibility mode for: Win 95, win98/ME" etc.
    I tried doing this and I get an error (cxatm932(127). Wishful thinking I guess.

Default Re: Text Spacing (Tracking) Settings not maintained

You're right - my apologies..

The 'text now.xar' shows it was created with Xara Xtreme 3.0 0.4480
    Is this the exact same same version used on both Win98 and WinXP?
    Okay. I am now up on my old Win98 machine. All my xar files open and display properly. I am running version 2.0f CD (the same as on WinXP). When I open a xar file in notepad here, it shows the same Xara Xtreme 3.0 0.4480 header. So I don't think that has anything to do with my issue.

I am going to attached a xar and gif export from here, and see if it displays the tracking properly on your systsems.

I appreciate the help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	win98text.gif 
Views:	132 
Size:	4.5 KB 
ID:	46089  
    Attached Files Attached Files

It seems to be a Window XP thing ........
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    It seems to be a Window XP thing ........
    That's my deduction as well. Or more to the point, Xara in XP.

I'm now back on my new (WinXP) system and see that my test xar file doesn't maintain the text attributes.

So I am thinking maybe I should try exporting them from Xara (on win98 system) as a different type of xara file. Anyone have a suggestion?

I can't believe this hasn't come up before. Didn't anyone else create on win98, and then upgrade to winXP???

You can try exporting form XaraXtreme on win98 as PDF making sure (under the objects tab of the export dialogue) you haven't checked 'Convert fonts to shapes'

Then import the PDF in XaraXtreme running on WindowsXP - it's likely to be the same as it appears to be an OS font management difference.
    Having never installed Xara on Windows98, I personally have no files created under '98.

If you have the time and desire, you can install Windows98 on you new XP machine as a 'VirtualPC', also installing XaraXtreme into this virtual environment also. It may save a bit of time when going from one operating environment to another and give you the opportunity for further experimentation?
    Microsoft Virtual PC software (free)

As for XaraXtreme version 3, yes Xara Xtreme is at version 3.2 at this moment.

Finally, out of curiosity, go back to your Xtreme.exe in :\program Files\xara etc, right-click and choose properties. Look through the tabs and find the version there. No matter what it might say on the CD or Box, the file version shown in the executable properties sheet is the one you have

*My screenshot is from the Vista properties sheet, and will look slightly different on your XP system.

Name:	fileversion.png 
Views:	136 
Size:	8.4 KB 
ID:	46090  

No, it's not just Xara, Word shows the same problems, with this font.

I suspect that something about the ligatures and swashes in this font is contributing to the problem.
    Keith
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

You can try exporting form XaraXtreme on win98 as PDF making sure (under the objects tab of the export dialogue) you haven't checked 'Convert fonts to shapes'

Then import the PDF in XaraXtreme running on WindowsXP - it's likely to be the same as it appears to be an OS font management difference.
    Having never installed Xara on Windows98, I personally have no files created under '98.

If you have the time and desire, you can install Windows98 on you new XP machine as a 'VirtualPC', also installing XaraXtreme into this virtual environment also. It may save a bit of time when going from one operating environment to another and give you the opportunity for further experimentation?
    Microsoft Virtual PC software (free)

As for XaraXtreme version 3, yes Xara Xtreme is at version 3.2 at this moment.

Finally, out of curiosity, go back to your Xtreme.exe in :\program Files\xara etc, right-click and choose properties. Look through the tabs and find the version there. No matter what it might say on the CD or Box, the file version shown in the executable properties sheet is the one you have

*My screenshot is from the Vista properties sheet, and will look slightly different on your XP system.
    I will try anything at this point. I have attached my properties. So I guess I have version 0.0.0.480... huh?!

Name:	properties.gif 
Views:	148 
Size:	11.5 KB 
ID:	46092  

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    No, it's not just Xara, Word shows the same problems, with this font.

I suspect that something about the ligatures and swashes in this font is contributing to the problem.
    I've been over this before, but it's not a problem with the way Xara or any other program displays the Scriptina font. It's the fact that after I save a file (in Win98), where I have adjusted the tracking to correct the spacing, that Xara resorts back to the default spacing when the file is opened in Xara on winXP.

Reading the thread, I hadn't realised that you had to correct the spacing originally, I thought that it was just happening when you updated to XP.

I agree Xara should not be reverting to the original kerning. Have you sent a support e-mail to Xara?
    Keith

I agree - you need Xara support on this one...