Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Text Spacing (Kerning/Tracking) Settings Lost

Quote Originally Posted by mvpdigital View Post
    Sorry for the delay. I am not getting email updates of posts, although i have my Control Panel set for it?
    If you have set the Default Subscription to "instant Email Notification' in your CP, then you should be getting email alerts.
    Also, when you reply check that the 'Thread Subscription' says 'Instant Email Notification' - to be certain

When I click "open", and highlight a graphic, the preview graphic shows the tracking as it should me.
    That due to embedded bitmap for the thumbnail, which would have be saved when created on the Win98 system?

I am trying to figure out why this has happened in the first place. Is it possible that the Post Script fonts are the issue?
    Are they 'exactly' the same fonts (taken from your Win98 Fonts folder)? Or did you just download them again from the internet for your newer machine?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Are you using the same Post Script font on WinXP as you did on Win98?

Win98 required a post script font manager are you using the same on WinXP?

I installed a Type1 Scriptina font on my system but still see the same tracking as I did with the TrueType font.

Have you contacted Xara Support? http://support/xara.com
    Last edited by Soquili; 03 March 2008 at 03:34 AM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    If you have set the Default Subscription to "instant Email Notification' in your CP, then you should be getting email alerts.
    Also, when you reply check that the 'Thread Subscription' says 'Instant Email Notification' - to be certain

That due to embedded bitmap for the thumbnail, which would have be saved when created on the Win98 system?

Are they 'exactly' the same fonts (taken from your Win98 Fonts folder)? Or did you just download them again from the internet for your newer machine?
    I had it set in CP, but didn't check in the thread options, below. Now I have changed it to Instant.

Yes, I hooked the hard drive from my old system to the new system. Then transferred all files, including fonts from the old system. Then I put the drive back in the old system.

I was editing my last post while you were replying to Sledger.

Did you install the fonts you brought over to the XP system?

Are you using a Post script font manager in XP?
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    Are you using the same Post Script font on WinXP as you did on Win98?

Win98 required a post script font manager are you using the same on WinXP?

I installed a Type1 Scriptina font on my system but still see the same tracking as I did with the TrueType font.

Have you contacted Xara Support? http://support/xara.com
    Sorry for the confusion, the Scriptina font I have it TTF, not post script. Although I did bring Post script fonts into WinXP, and have no problem using them. I did install a fix from Adobe, since I had installed Adobe Type Manager, and then uninstalled it. But that's another story on the riverbank.

I have not contacted Xara support. I always find the best support here. I guess that is the next step.

I was editing my last post while you were replying to Sledger.

Did you install the fonts you brought over to the XP system?

Are you using a Post script font manager in XP?
    I installed all the fonts from my old system, that weren't already on my new system, Scriptina being one of them.

I don't think I am using a Post Script manager. I just use post script fonts in programs, and have no problems.

The Scriptina font I use is TTF.

It is odd that the tracking is changing on the old files.

Have you tried using the ExpandXar.exe utility? It does an uncompress on a .xar file and can fix some errors.

I'm thinking that possible uncompressing the .xar and then opening the output file in Xtreme may correct what ever is causing the problem.

You can download ExpandXar.exe from the Xara Xone http://www.xaraxone.com/html/shareware.html
    Last edited by Soquili; 03 March 2008 at 04:06 AM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Bill the scriptina.ttf font is displayed the same in CoredDraw X3 on XP and Vista Ult in the same way that Xara does. Also Wordpad shows the same 'tracking' ?
    It appears not to be a .xar file problem at all.
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 03 March 2008 at 05:50 AM. Reason: Remove non relevant images

It is odd that the tracking is changing on the old files.

Have you tried using the ExpandXar.exe utility? It does an uncompress on a .xar file and can fix some errors.

I'm thinking that possible uncompressing the .xar and then opening the output file in Xtreme may correct what ever is causing the problem.

You can download ExpandXar.exe from the Xara Xone http://www.xaraxone.com/html/shareware.html
    I downloaded ExpandXar and it didn't fix the problem. But thanks, for the resource. I'll keep it on hand.

I've opened a ticket with Xara support.

I am just starting to realize how huge this issue is for me. I just checked a bunch of client biz cards, and the formatting is off on many of them. This is scary.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Bill the scriptina.ttf font is displayed the same in CoredDraw X3 on XP and Vista Ult in the same way that Xara does. Also Wordpad shows the same 'tracking' ?
    It appears not to be a .xar file problem at all.
    I don't mean to be rude, but I think you're missing the point of my post, and problem.

I have created tons of graphics over the past several years in Xara (Xara Xtreme), many using the Scriptina font (and other cursive fonts). When I created them, I adjusted the tracking to the desired spacing look, and saved the files. I have then opened these files thousands of time over the years and they have always maintained the tracking adjustments that I set. It is only now, when I open these same files on my new system, that the tracking has gone back to what you see (I am guessing default).

I'm trying to find out why, and find a way to open the files maintaining the proper text attributes.