Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Playing with X1, and I really appreciate the solid drag thing... but the one feature I really, really expected and hoped for above all others is still AWOL -- why, oh why, isn't there more flexibility in programming mouse buttons?!?

All I want in a new version is to be able to set my scroll wheel to zoom in/out and scroll button to pan. Is that so wrong? It would be the most useful possible new feature for me...

Playing with X1, and I really appreciate the solid drag thing... but the one feature I really, really expected and hoped for above all others is still AWOL -- why, oh why, isn't there more flexibility in programming mouse buttons?!?

All I want in a new version is to be able to set my scroll wheel to zoom in/out and scroll button to pan. Is that so wrong? It would be the most useful possible new feature for me...

Hi Christopher,

Hold the Control Key down and use your mouse wheel. It should zoom in and out on your drawing. Hold the Shift Key down and use your mouse wheel and the drawing should pan from side to side. These also work in the original XaraX.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wheel-help.gif 
Views:	252 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	2558  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Thanks for the tips, Soquili... but that still doesn't compensate for what is, for me, a real problem with X. Why does pressing the mouse wheel button open a new drawing? Who uses that? Why can't I set the Forward/Back buttons to do something useful, like switch back and forth between previous tools? I've got a wonderful mouse interface that is going to waste for no good reason here. I shouldn't have to press keys and go to extra steps when the mouse buttons are just sitting there doing nothing. Five years ago this was an understandable omission, now it just seems sad. C'mon, guys.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Why does pressing the mouse wheel button open a new drawing? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Er, am I missing something here? This is news to me and doesn't do it on my version. As the Help says clicking the mouse wheel (centre button) centers the view around the click point. Pressing and dragging the centre button (mouse wheel) drags the page around as is industry standard practice in all good Windows apps (e.g. Windows Picture Viewer). Oh and Xara Picture Editor and Webstyle etc

The OS only supports three mouse buttons through the normal mouse interface. It's quite a lot of extra work to support the weird and wonderful, and generally non-standard, 5 button mouses, er mice.

Whoops - my bad. Apparently in the distant past I had set my mouse to keystroke Ctrl-N when pushing the centre button, so yeah, X1 does conform to the norm and I'm the odd duck. And upon further investigation, I hadn't previously noticed that one can set program-specific actions for mouse buttons in Windows. Convenient, that.

Now if I can just figure a way to get the scroll wheel to zoom in and out in X1 in nice, smallish increments, my life will be complete...