Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: newbie... export??

Steve,

Because of my work I have developed a habit to sticking to software defaults where possible, it makes helping others so much easier.
    I'd agree with that but what's the default? For example pressing the space bar prior to XXP3.2 changed the tool to the Selector Tool. After this it changed to the Push tool.
    I think we need to decide what is the default XXP behaviour/defaults before we can make these statements. I'm thinking of future tutorials in particular.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I'm not after an argument with you Egg. I did emphasise 'where possible'..

No agument at all Steve. My point is where do you create/decide the "Default" or "Standard" shortcut? For example, I'd say that the Space Bar = Select Tool was the standard XXP behaviour. It was changed in 3.2 (?) to the Push Tool.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Egg, perhaps we differ in our interpretation of the term?

To me, always, *default* refers to a setting or value assigned to a software function by the developers.
    If the value changes for that function with a new verison of the same software, then *default* becomes the new value for that new version, but not the old/previous version. If the software allows user intervention which lets you to set your own preferred value (assign a new hotkey), then this is no longer a default value for the software even if it becomes one for you.
    My assertion was that the original setting or value assigned to a software function by the developers is the default setting and is the one I refer to when helping others based on the software version they are using.

In other words, the developers decide what is a default setting, not the user.

Ok, this discussion is not going anywhere and the thread should be locked.

Actually, the discussion is quite stimulating, Helle, has asked some relevant questions that has opened up the discussion. Surely the reader would invite this thread to continue so others could profit in the knowledge of others, or would we like a new thread week after week on the same subject, I think not. And looking at the time stamps on the posts, lets give Helle some time to sleep on it, give it time to digest.

Jim Toal

its wandered slightly off topic maybe regarding defaults - but that's no reason to close the thread on the OP unless it gets out of hand - as its mods I'm sure it won't
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I was "joking", kind of lame reference to another thread that was locked because "the discussion had run it's course."

I'm too busy to try to influence the moderation or the general athmo here, and find myself quite lonely.

I don't think this place does a lot of good to Xara as a commercial product, and neither does my attitude when it's like this.

Please guys......

I am so happy for the answers from Sledger. Could you please stop talking about what's default or not. In case I would have any doubts I would have asked Sledger that question...

I'm ALL new to this software - and I appreciate ALL the help I'm getting

Helle :-)