Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Is Xara Ltd not only lost, but also lazy?

I don't know where Charles and Crew are taking Xara tommorrow. All I do know is that every change since 1.1 has improved my graphics tool of choice. When one is in the valley, it is pretty safe to trust the vision of the person on the hilltop. Every hill I have climbed, Charles and crew have been standing on a even taller one leading the way.

If one is in a valley and they desire to go over that low hill that looks easiest enough to climb but they fail to see mountain just beyond, then of course they will mumble and gripe when their guide points them to a tougher looking hill. A hill with no mountain beyond. I trust Charles and Crew to read the topographical map and lead xara where it should go.

I have faith that whatever direction xara is going, it will remain a tool I can use to further my professional growth and help my customers to achieve the tasks they need done in the most cost effective manner. Saving both time and money, thus increasing their bottom line.

This is just my 2 cents worth. I do not fault Robert for his viewpoint, but I do not have to heed his ravings either. Thanks for reading my ravings...
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook
    IP

I posted my opinion about the topic itself in this other thread while this one was locked, so I only want to say that forum moderators should always announce their reasons when

1) moderating user posts
    2) locking threads.

There is of course solid reasoning behind decisions like these, and members/thread starters clearly have a right to know these, and in case of community moderators these decisions will sometimes questioned.

In other words, silent moderation is bad moderation practice.

In this case I thought it was Priester who locked the thread after posting in it, and it appeared very strange to me.
    IP

I am only a minnow.
    One simple comment though - wouldn't the cost comparison come into the discussion. As I understand it many of the programmes mentioned are far more expensive than Xara.
    I just appreciate this great graphics programme.
    Rupert
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Jon G View Post
    I only want to say that forum moderators should always announce their reasons when

1) moderating user posts
    2) locking threads.

There is of course solid reasoning behind decisions like these, and members/thread starters clearly have a right to know these, and in case of community moderators these decisions will sometimes questioned.

In other words, silent moderation is bad moderation practice.
    I agree completely with this.
    IP

...so I only want to say that forum moderators should always announce their reasons when

1) moderating user posts
    2) locking threads..
    Well, in this case it was (VERY) clarified a few posts down - in posts 15 to 18, and 12 and 13... Sometimes TG members/moderators misfire... It was fixed, wasn't it?

TIME is not limitless... PURPOSE is subjective...

Hence there are moderators to keep things OT. YOU want one thing... and other members (and visitiors/lurkers) want something all together different... In the middle there are moderators trying to keep things running smoothly...

No moderator here is paid a cent! Everyone volunteers their time (as time permits). Why not trust that moderators (TG members) are doing their best? Surely you don't think that Egg and Soquili are scum sucking slime... Dude, if you haven't noticed --- they unselfishly help people along every single day...

Time is precious... Informing everyone about every single edit takes more time than anyone has... Seriously!

...In other words, silent moderation is bad moderation practice..
    No... It`s just moderation.

In this case I thought it was Priester who locked the thread after posting in it, and it appeared very strange to me.
    AND... you were completely wrong... (it happens on occasion - when a thread is not really read)... If any one member has an issue with a thread being closed (or what have you) - email any of us - it willl be looked at. Really! There is no skating by anything here - all actions taken are looked at.

Risto
    Last edited by RTK; 29 February 2008 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Some horrible grammar and spelling
    IP

As for getting back OT as per this thread: http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=31463

The slicing and dicing point as per FLYsolo`s note is something I would like to see dealt with also.

As clarification has been requested - any future OT chatter will be deleted. Again, if you have a problem with moderation - PM me and it will be looked at by all moderators.

Risto
    IP

IMO, what Eobet has done by starting this thread is generally constructive and I believe that he generally wants the best for Xara and it's users.

I only wish that he would use more humility in addressing XX's abilities.
    He has a history of being aggressive in his critisism only to look silly when others who are less 'professional' than himself explain suitable methods. This sort of confrontational attitude will always upset others.

As far as I can see Eobet doesn't contribute much directly to our understanding of the software. This is not a critisism, as I know that most professionals do not have time to be creative and are rarely paid to do so. With this, I doubt that most of it's users are professional. So such users are not as important as Eobet would like.

Users with less time restraints etc. are the ones who expand our knowledge of such software as others are forced to use the quick and productive 'tried and tested' formulas.

As another member pointed out, XXPro is cheaper than it's competition and so you can not expect everything, unless you want the price to triple. I think that there would be more protests if this were to happen as non professionals have to buy their own software.
    Last edited by salaam; 29 February 2008 at 11:04 AM. Reason: added sentence
    IP

Yes, I am very direct in my writing style, and I keep having to apologize for it, it seems.

I find it interesting though, that this thread is full of defence of Xara, while the other ("mature") thread is full of feature suggestions...

Neither thread has any criticism or debate regarding Xara Ltd's actions, though, which is what my main purpose was.
    Art should tell a story. Don't paint a moment, paint a lifetime.
    IP

It is only natural that some feel 'protective' of their favourite software and get irritated at the number of criticisms that occur, it is also only natural that many users are dissatisfied and want the software to develop in a particular direction and that newcomers want familiar tools, that's life. Personally, I admire the software, but have no 'brand loyalty' of any kind, I go the easiest route I can find every time.

Those who love Xtreme as it is, obviously have nothing to worry about, if you don't like any changes you can keep using the version you prefer, it's not as if you will be forced to upgrade.

As I said in the other thread, Xara seems to be doing pretty well in its target market, with or without major changes to the software, and I can't see any major change in strategy coming either. Certainly no such change has been signalled. But what do I know? Next month we could get the answer to all our dreams, how likely is that?
    IP

Actually, it may be more likely than you think. Xara doesn't provide this forum, just because they are nice people. It provides them with valuable feedback on what the actual users want and need. It is entirely possible (although I admit highly unlikely) that all of "our" moans and whines have been addressed and we will be really happy ..... In my world it's also a free upgrade, but somehow I don't think that's going to happen either.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    IP