Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Charles,

I installed X1 on my notebook with XP Home Edition, I pasted the same Russian text and it showed correctly.

Luciano

> Andrew what OS are you using? (I'm using XPE Pro).

Gee, that new picture editor is lot more powerful than I thought. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> ...On the other side, I got only a series of question marks for russian text in xara X1...:

Luciano <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Luciano, were you by chance using something from the Times LT font family? It doesn't support the Russian symbols. Try it in Word;nothing appears at all, not even question marks.

It pasted just fine in Xara X¹ using a variety of other fonts, but most I have don't support it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Luciano:
    Charles,

I installed X1 on my notebook with XP Home Edition, I pasted the same Russian text and it showed correctly.

Luciano <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The bug is dead keys (in typing) not in the pasting of the text. Pasted text is (of course) displayed correctly.

Default Re: extended characters

Hi all,

I'm using an old version of XaraX (1.0d) on Windows XP Professional system and also had some issues with special characters in the past, but I found a simple way to overcome them.

Since I live in Bulgaria, I often use cyrillic, german and english characters in different applications, and I was frustrated that a superb package like XaraX doesn't allow the user to simply type in the desired character... Problems arised particullary with german umlauts. It came to my mind recently that I've selected "Bulgarian" (which means codepage 856) under Regional Settings -> Advanced -> Language for non-unicode programs.

It seems weird to me, since this setting should't have any impact on character input in XaraX (it's claimed that it has Unicode support), but it's a fact - selecting German fixed the issue. Now all charecters (cyrillic, latin) display properly, so I don't have to copy and paste from Notepad, for example.

And by the way, if you work with several languages, it's an abolute must to have the keyboard layout remembered for each application - and it's perfectly harmless.

So try playing with code pages if some characters don't display correctly.

I have a lot of problems with extended characters as well, but find that very often this is because the font itself does not contain them.

Since I live in Miami, FL, some of the websites I design are required to be in Spanish, I am very careful to use only fonts containing the complete character set. Somehow, it does not appeal to me to use one text font for the English language pages and another for the Spanish language ones on the same web site.

And, as an aside...OklaEd...I grew up in Oklahoma, then moved to Amarillo, TX, then to Florida where I have been for many years...and where I intend to stay. Here, however, the last census shows that Latinos outnumber Anglos, so it looks like English is becoming the second language here...
    ---
    Will

Sorry to raise this one again but I came across the site for people who don't have a copy on their hard disc. Hope it helps:http://graveyard.maniacalrage.net/etc/special/
    Design is thinking made visual.