Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Switching/altering multiple colors/hues in a group of objects?

Let's say I have a group with three of four shades of a color (really three of four different colors, as I haven't used any features beyond the color palette to get them).

Now I multiply this group, and what to change the hue (or contrast perhaps). In other words, I want to use the exact same modification/transformation on all four colors.

How can I accomplish this?

I have heard some mention of the "name gallery", but I couldn't figure it out (I'm used to the hue/value sliders in Photoshop, and lately, the Live Color dialog in Illustrator).
    Art should tell a story. Don't paint a moment, paint a lifetime.

Default Re: Switching/altering multiple colors/hues in a group of objects?

Using named colours to begin with will allow this kind of colour editing.

Have a look at this Xara Xone Workbook

Ok, so I've named every color in my object, cloned it a couple of times, and now I wish to turn one of the cloned objects into green, but have the others remain red.

How do I accomplish this, please?

now I wish to turn one of the cloned objects into green, but have the others remain red.
    Click an unamed colour on the colour bar.

Having the object I wish to change the color on selected first, I presume?

That turned the entire object into that color, removing all my gradients, and I have quite a lot of them, and would like to retain them, please.

EDIT:

I'm now replacing the colors in each individual gradient manually. The trouble is, when I select a gradient color point, it says "local fill color" color editor instead of the named color, and the color toolbar in the bottom only highlights the end gradient color points, not the middle ones, so I not only must I find each point manually, I now have to visually indentify which specific hue (out of five) I'm blending as well...
    Last edited by eobet; 28 February 2008 at 12:19 PM.

The only way to get what you want is to have a group of diferent named colors for each object.
    For example:
    green A
    red A
    yellow A
    for group of objects A

green B
    red B
    yellow C
    for group of objects B

This would be easy if Xtreme allowed to copy/duplicate a group of selected colors, but it doesnīt, so you have to manually duplicate all the colors you use and assign them to the group of objects you want to be diferent. This way you can get exact same modification/transformation on all.

If you use the same group of named colors for all of your groups of objects, every time you change one of the named colors all groups of objects will change accordingly.

Hope this makes sense.
    Last edited by MEB; 28 February 2008 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel B. View Post
    This would be easy if Xtreme allowed to copy/duplicate a group of selected colors, but it doesnīt, so you have to manually duplicate all the colors you use and assign them to the group of objects you want to be diferent. This way you can get exact same modification/transformation on all.
    Ah, there's the answer then? Xara doesn't support anything I asked about in this thread, I have to do it all manually, each individual color, each individual gradient point...

Thanks for the information, anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by eobet View Post
    Ah, there's the answer then? Xara doesn't support anything I asked about in this thread, I have to do it all manually, each individual color, each individual gradient point...

Thanks for the information, anyway!
    Well... You have to recreate the same named colors with a diferent name and reassign them to the copy of objects you want to be diferent. Itīs a little tedious but it can be done. Duplicating colors is a little laborious but reassigning them is just a question of dragīnīdrop.

Eobet there is a way to do what you want automatically.

Copy one of your objects that has named colours and paste into a new document.

Deselect the object.

Open the Colour Editor and drag the named colour you want to change onto the Editor. Adjust the colour to what your want. If you used named and linked or Tint/Shade colours your gradient will update in real time.

Copy the object with it's new colour and paste into the original drawing.

You will see the new named colours added to your colour line and you can now edit the colours separatly from the other objects.

The attached .xar file began with the group of circles in the upper left. After naming the base colour, the tint was created then the linked colour. I copied the group to a new document and dropped the named base colour onto the Colour Editor. In HSV mode I simply dragged the crosshair to another Hue. The colours all changed dynamically. Copied the new group and pasted into the original document. The left most rectangle was given a gradient using the first named colour base colour, copied to a new document and given a new Hue, copied and pasted back into the original drawing. The other rectangles are simple copy/pasted edit colour and paste again using the described technique.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Soquili; 28 February 2008 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Edited text and added .xar attachment
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Brilliant ideia Bill !!!
    Thinking outside the box (or in this case, outside the window)