Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Confused about upgrade

Hi there!

I desperately need to upgrade my Xara software. I'm currently using Xara Photo and Graphic Designer 7.

Apart from designing graphics for websites, I am doing more graphics that will be published in newspapers.

These require being exported in PDF but have to be in the CMYK colour model.

What should I upgrade to?

Thank you in advance.

Default Re: Confused about upgrade

I'd hang in for another month or so as we're looking forward to the annual new releases
    Having said that, from your comments, I'd be considering the Designer Pro version.

Why not download the trial and use that in the interim before the next release?

@ sledger - Cool!

@pauland - thanks, I'll do just that!

No ability to work in a CMYK environment as yet, though a new release may hopefully remedy that.
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Are you sure, Bob?
    In Designer Pro, does not setting your document to CMYK colour model and switching to 'Simulate print colours' for closer 'screen accuracy' not suit?

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Are you sure, Bob?
    In Designer Pro, does not setting your document to CMYK colour model and switching to 'Simulate print colours' for closer 'screen accuracy' not suit?
    Doesn't suit me. The so-called "Simulate print colours" is no where as accurate as it needs to be. As Bob wrote, there is no document CMYK mode (like in Illy) as of yet.

Now, having a swatch book if accurate vector coloring is needed is a must, albeit experience goes a long way. And XDP's color when it hits a PDF is pretty accurate. So aside from the niggles above, CMYK is as I expect.

Mike

To illustrate the vast difference in on-screen differences, I used the screen shot below in another thread.

Left side is Xara with Simulate... turned on. Right side is Acrobat (same in Illy with a document in CMYK mode).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.png 
Views:	95 
Size:	5.4 KB 
ID:	94778

Take care, Mike