Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How to create TRANSPARENCY (the easiest way...)

Hi all,
    I would have a question: "How can I create a picture with transparent background in easiest way"?

I know how can I do it but "why there are lots of ways to do it"?

So for example, I have read something about "clipping path" but before that I had been creating transparent images by selecting some area with for example "magic wand" or "magnetic lasso", then inverting the selection and after that I erased the background with for example "background eraser".

So now I don't understand, what is the difference in "clipping path" and "mask" (or selection) and which is better to use?

And my last question is about the type of file: "When I just create a transparent image, what possible "type of file" can I save it into (for example ".TIFF", ".TGA", ".EPS") or in other words, in "which" types of files there will be saved "also" a mask?"

Thank you.
    IP

Default Re: How to create TRANSPARENCY (the easiest way...)

Quote Originally Posted by Martin1 View Post
    ... I had been creating transparent images by selecting some area with for example "magic wand" or "magnetic lasso", then inverting the selection and after that I erased the background with for example "background eraser".
    Hi Martin,
    Too many steps, IMHO. Once the unnecessary area selected, pull down "Layer > Layer Mask > Hide Selection" or merely [Alt]-click the "mask" button on the Layers palette.

By masking some area you just hide it. At any time you can get it back by painting on the mask with white color.

In the meantime, by erasing on a layer you eliminate graphic data for good. This approach supposed to be "destructive" and "amateurish".
    IP