Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Clipview Quirky?

I'm putting together a photo montage and am using clipview extensively to crop the photos. However, after using it a few times, it seems to me that it works backwards from the way it should. I draw the shape of the container over the photo, but then I have to place it behind the photo before I can select the photo and apply Clipview.

Does this process seem backwards to anyone except me? In my way of thinking, a person would want to see the container over the object at all times so that it would make it easier to edit multiple times.

Your thoughts?

.joroho.
    Wise men still seek Him.

Default Re: Clipview Quirky?

Yes the clipping window must be sent to the back.

From XaraXtreme help file:

To create a ClipView:
    The 'window' object must be behind the other objects in the ClipView

I would draw my cropping shape, place it over the photo, select both the shape and photo and then use 'Arrange -> Combine Shapes -> Intersect Shapes' (Ctrl+3) to crop images before I draw the final clipping 'window' shape. Once I have positioned the clipping window, I'd send it to the back (Ctrl+B) and select all (Ctrl+A). Then press 'Q' to apply the clipview

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I would draw my cropping shape, place it over the photo, select both the shape and photo and then use 'Arrange -> Combine Shapes -> Intersect Shapes' (Ctrl+3) to crop images before I draw the final clipping 'window' shape. Once I have positioned the clipping window, I'd send it to the back (Ctrl+B) and select all (Ctrl+A). Then press 'Q' to apply the clipview
    Not sure I like this workflow. It sounds to me like you're doing twice the work by intersecting shapes first and then applying the clipview. As well, I want to maintain the integrity of the photo in case I decide I'd like to crop it differently via clipview.

Finally, because this is a collage, I can't simply do Ctrl+A to select only the two clipping objects.

Any other ideas?

.joroho.
    Wise men still seek Him.

Quote Originally Posted by joroho View Post
    Not sure I like this workflow. It sounds to me like you're doing twice the work by intersecting shapes first and then applying the clipview. As well, I want to maintain the integrity of the photo in case I decide I'd like to crop it differently via clipview.

Finally, because this is a collage, I can't simply do Ctrl+A to select only the two clipping objects.

Any other ideas?
    Not twice the work, as ClipView is only done once, at the finish once you have your collage postioning completed. This is where I mean't the select-all (Ctrl+A) to take place Hold SHIFT and click to select only the objects you want.
    Intersected (cropped) photos is not destructive. If you select your 'intersect' cropped photo and click the fill icon on the tool bar (G) you can move your 'full photo' to a new position within that intersected crop. Nothing is actually removed

I've added a quick'n'dirty example of what I'm trying to convey. I hope this helps. Forgive me if I have misunderstood your query.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 10 February 2008 at 05:45 AM.

Another way is to open two projects. Import all your photos in project 2 (CTRL - SHFT -I). Create shapes for your photos in project 1 and arrange them as you want. Click on a shape and in the bitmap gallery (F11), choose a photo and press the FILL button.

You can use just one project and move the imported photos off the drawing area as well.

You can also add the photo folder to your clip art gallery and just drag and drop photos onto the shapes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo Montage.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	45290  
    Last edited by DanDaBear; 10 February 2008 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Misspellings
    ~ DanDaBear ~
    Some people think inside the box, Some people think outside the box, I think about the box