Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: strange problem exporting to pdf

Quote Originally Posted by amoore View Post
    If you're going to convert to shapes before creating the pdf, make sure you keep a copy of the file (or at least the text portions) pre conversion. That way, you can revise it later, if necessary.
    As mentioned a number of times already, there is no need to save in order to convert. Once converted and exported to PDF, simply close your document without saving.

But I agree, having a copy of an important file is always good practice

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    Take a look at PDF995.com
    A lot of people use it, and some swear by it. Personally, I don't like all the ads I've had to wade through when setting it up for someone else. There are other freebies that work very nicely without the propaganda overhead. The two that immediately come to mind are PrimoPDF and CutePDF.

One thing to note is that, AFAIK, none of the freebies are really designed for producing "professional" pdfs. IOW, for handing off a pdf to an officemate or a client or a family member, they're just fine. But you may need something more sophisticated for a commercial printer.

If the print vendor you're using is happy with your pdfs, carry on as you're doing. Otherwise, you'll need to move up the scale a notch or two. I use JawsPDF, which is a lot less expensive, but in my experience, much faster and more reliable than Adobe Acrobat. Again, there are other options out there. You just need to poke around a bit and see what works for you and your print vendor.

As for Xtreme's pdf export, it's not perfect, but it's generally excellent and often superior to other alternatives. Some of the problems we encounter with XXP's pdf export have more to do with limitations in the pdf format than with the export function itself. For example, the pdf format has limited capabilities for handling transparency. Many of XXP's transparency types aren't supported in the format, so if you want to export from XXP to pdf, you may need to "prepare" your image accordingly. That could mean designing with the limitations in mind. Or it could mean converting potential problem areas (such as Live Effects) to bitmap before hitting the export button.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    As mentioned a number of times already, there is no need to save in order to convert. Once converted and exported to PDF, simply close your document without saving.
    You're right, of course. Unfortunately, if your finger slips — or your attention — you'll be out of luck.

If you're in the habit of backing out of conversions, you might at least want to use XXTune to turn on the backup option.

.....you might at least want to use XXTune to turn on the backup option.
    I second that. A great utility which I hope is built into future versions.

There are other freebies that work very nicely without the propaganda overhead. The two that immediately come to mind are PrimoPDF and CutePDF........
    Thanks I'll try them out. Haakoo recently posted a free pdf writer (See this thread) that was quick and seemed to do a reasonably good job. However, when printing from AutoCad it did some wierd things with the centering on the page.
    Last edited by ss-kalm; 07 February 2008 at 02:38 AM.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Well while on the subject of freeware PDF print drivers, PDFRedirect has output settings LOW / GOOD / VERY GOOD / HIGH as well as Colourspace settings RGB / CMYK. Also page rotation settings, though I never use those.

PDFRedirect can also 'merge' output with an existing PDF (or list of PDF's)
    There's also PDF Encryption available if you need to password protect the output.

Thumbs up Re: strange problem exporting to pdf

I recommend ALWAYS using the "Save as..." feature BEFORE starting a destructive operation, or any major change. It is often useful to have both the unconverted and converted versions. Using logical (and cross-file sytem compatible) file names and project folder structures makes version control, backup and future utilisation easy. Once finished with a job, clean the folders from the scrap versions.

one example

doc drive:
    \client
    ... \project
    ... ... \sources
    ... ... \open

project root holds the final output.

Adobe Acrobat Elements is an excellent PDF print driver. It goes for 20-30 eur around here, and allows you to use commercial output profiles. Includes the same presets as Acrobat, and imports printer's profile files.

That said, XPro's pdf export works quite well in many cases, and is the best solution when there are many Xara-native effects like transparency.

I always save the editable file and then save as to a new file name variant to make the bitmap converted copy. Always.

The just don't save it again approach has led to real problems for me in the past - maybe I'm just undisciplined - it does rely on memory and being undistracted - and I press ctrl+s on autopilot every time I stop to think.

Speed is one thing, lazyness another - though this is just my opinion of course - each to their own
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

True

The problem lies in the solution to the Sudoku puzzle on page 4, I think. I Xpro it is defined as a shape but when you look at it the text (numbers) are full of jaggies it was not done in Xpro. Can I ask folk why they keep choosing the export for commercial printing as it is the very old part of this PDF module. What you should be doing is using the advance options and then you don't have to spoil or not save your file your Xara file. Also you can have and use some of the bitmap effects without having to worry about the outcome and you can control your colour profile without having to go into a PDF a printdriver to do it. If you are sending a file to the printers use the "advance options" and use at least "PDF X/1-a" and this will give a reliable export.
    Design is thinking made visual.