Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Any good reason to upgrade from PSP X?

Having tried X1 and X2 and found them much slower, do any of
    you folks think that there is there a valid reason why I should
    move on from PSP X? I know it depends to a degree on what I
    want from PSP, but I'm not interested in any new camera raw
    features, and there doesn't seem to be much else in the way of
    innovations in the past couple of years that are worth sacrificing
    the speed of PSP X. I'd be happy to be converted. I'm not trying
    to bash the product.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.
    IP

Default Re: Any good reason to upgrade from PSP X?

I used PSP 9 before X2, so I can't give you a definitive answer. I deferred getting either X or X1 (is that what they called PSP 11?), because I'd read complaints about balkiness and instability.

With one or two exceptions, I find X2 to be faster and more stable than PSP 9.
    Here's a list of features offered in X2, in case having them handy would be helpful to you: http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/d...p+pro+photo+x2

The only place that I have frustration with X2 is in the use of the Curves adjustment. If I'm careless about trying out too many different adjustments, or only several adjustments but very big ones, the whole program can freeze. Nothing but shutting PSP down with Task Manager will get me unstuck. Consequently, I try to avoid careless over adjustment in Curves. Also, I save my work again before Curves adjustments when I remember to. But that's the only situation so far that's given me trouble. Other than that I'm glad I finally took the plunge.

Maybe others who've actually used PSP X will be able to give you more detail.

Good luck!

S.
    Please visit my photo galleries: www.pbase.com/soenda
    IP

I'll be interested in hearing your final take on this question Bob..

I was a PSP6 user for years. Versions 7 thru 9 disappointed me so much that I went back to version 6 which I could use for everything I needed. v6 was fast, stable and I knew exactly how to arrive at my goal in the least amount of steps.

Since discovering XaraXtremePro I have now abandonded PSP altogether.
    My Photography tools of choice are now Adobe Lightroom (for RAW development) and Picasa for managment. Although Lightroom can export any size I like and retain all the EXIF data, I often use IrfanView to resize an image as it's fast and also retains image data.

All other editing is done using XaraXtremePro.
    JASC, Just Another Software Company were innovative and in many ways the creators of the only original Windows photo editor, things just seemed to go downhill after the Corel aquisition imho.
    IP

Thanks for your replies, soenda and Steve.
    I've been using psp since v.5 and it has been my photo editor of
    choice since then. Funnily enough, I found v.9 a little more responsive
    than v.8, but 11 and 12 have been very ponderous, and full of bugs, and
    crashes for just about every reason thinkable, not just curves adjustment.
    There haven't been many earth-shattering improvements/innovations
    since v. 8, though, certainly not worth the upgrade price, in my opinion.
    Despite using XaraXtreme Pro for most of my photo adjustments, there
    are still a few things that psp does either better or more easily than Xara.
    Being a relative novice with Xara, however, that may change as I become more and more familiar with it.
    So I've kept psp x (10) on my system for a balance of speed, stability
    and fairly recent features. Since Corel's acquisition, psp seems to be going the way of CorelDraw,
    with subsequent releases being pushed out for no real good reason (as far as this punter is concerned).
    Your replies have certainly helped me reach the decision to stick with
    psp x for now.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.
    IP

Glad to be helpful, but beyond the Curves issue, I really have not encountered any of the ponderousness, bugs or crash propensity you describe in X2. Maybe I'm just not trying hard enough?

I'm only realizing now that TalkGraphics is essentially a Xara website. It struck me in this thread that when the community moderator for a PSP forum has such dim view of PSP, it might be a bad sign.

Have I essentially been looking for help on Nikon problems from Canon? Talk about a dim bulb!

If that's the case, then I thank every one who has been so helpful and supportive, particularly under the circumstances. However it seems silly for me to continue turning to folks who dislike the product to begin with.

So long, and thanks for all the fish.
    Please visit my photo galleries: www.pbase.com/soenda
    IP

soenda, this is a forum for discussion of Corel Paint Shop Pro, rather than a 'Pro' Corel Paint Shop Pro forum whereby you will only hear good things from people who love Corel software.

Many topics are typically discussed, the good and the not so good. It's a, well... discussion.

My own comments are of course an opinion based on my direct experience, just as, I suspect, yours are based on your own experiences. I don't think Bob or I disgreed with any of your comments? We both read your posts with interest.

Have I essentially been looking for help on Nikon problems from Canon? Talk about a dim bulb!
    Both are still cameras are they not? As such then, there is common ground for discussion.
    If you only want to hear only the answer you want, then yes talking only to Nikon lovers will probably work.

Yes TalkGraphics is centered predominantly around users of Xara Software, ©2006 Xara Group Ltd own the forum after all (as seen at the foot of TG all pages). However we freely discuss all software related to Graphics, photography and illustration.

However it seems silly for me to continue turning to folks who dislike the product to begin with.
    That's too bad. I'm sad that you found comments in this thread not to your liking or approval, but that's the way of forums and the beast that discussion is.

I wish you all the very best and please enjoy those Herrings you found.
    IP

soenda, I think Sledger is making a lot of valid points, the Paintshop Pro forum would be a poorer place without your contributions. Please stick around.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    IP

Soenda,

Although as you say this is predominantly a Xara forum, very few people use only a single software.

Many, Many of the users here use Xara and Paint Shop Pro myself included.

Just because these artists and software users also use Xara, doesn't mean that they know nothing about PSP.

There are some very intelligent people here who only want to help people, and give their honest opinions on all kinds of issues.

I am sure there are many people here who have valued your comments and help on PSP. Just because you are on a predominantly Xara forum, doesn't make your advice wrong.

And to continue your camera analogy, If the users you talk to on a Canon forum also own and use a Nikon, does that make their experience with the Nikon equipment irrelevant.

I will second Bob's comment - Please stick around your comments on these forums have always been intelligent and helpful.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    IP

Bob,
    If it's not too late here is a short here is a short "whats-new" article:
    http://paintshoppro.info/tutorials/p...op-pro-x2.html
    IP

In my view there can be only 7, but most here know that. I found it totally useless after Corel took over. Just my opinion though.
    IP