Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Default Re: Stop & Post Feb 2008

Nice atmospheric effect JA.

trying to make some animation
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clip006.JPG 
Views:	254 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	45856  
    Last edited by accessD; 25 February 2008 at 06:50 PM.
    Regards, Dmitry.
    Useful utils for Xara: http://xaraxtv.at.tut.by

New uniform concept Not finished, lacks shadows, hair details and other details
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	claire.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	45890  

David and Gray,

Thanks for that brief exchange. Gray, you´ve given me some ideas about how to proceed with a few projects. David, I just got ArtRage, and it seems very useful/interesting. Your comments have suggested ways to incorporate both XXP and AR.

Hope you post your completed animation Dmitry.

Suvek, that's quite the uniform.

Scott, one of the good parts of forums is being able to exchange techniques and ideas. We all learn from each other. I hope you post your XXP AR work you're going to do.

Scott:

I will drop another piece of information about ArtRage that I learned while working through that exchange. It may be helpful to know up front, before having to puzzle through it as I did.

If you use a 'brush' brush with lots of loading and little thinner, so the bristle lines are visible, you can get into a *???* moment if you use layers. If you paint on one layer, and then paint something else on a *lower* layer, and you paint underneath an object on the upper layer, hoping to use that upper object's edge as a boundary, you will be surprised when the lower brush stroke's highlight/shading appears through the upper layer's paint. The color won't come through, just the (?alpha? portion) of the brushstroke.

You can eliminate this in a couple ways. The easiest one is to set the blend mode of the top object's layer to 'Replace.' (Of course, it is the last method I learned, as I have to do everything the hard way before finding the easier ones.) One of the harder methods is to export the painting as a PDF and open it in Xara--the layers no longer interact in that manner. The other is to carefully erase the work underneath the upper layer's object.

Also be aware that you cannot move the lighting (as far as I can tell). It will always come from the upper left corner of the painting. You can turn the lights off by pressing F5, but that kinda defeats the purpose of brushes. So be aware that brush strokes in different directions will appear to be slightly different colors because of lighting differences.

I too am glad for gray's exchange--I learned a lot, and greatly respect his abilities. Someday, thanks to his willingness to share, I may approach that level when I have more time to dedicate to these programs.

David