Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default PSP Material Palette Causes Crash

Hi there

Every time i click on the material palette, PSP 9 crashes. I have uninstalled, re-installed, done updates, deleted registry settings and still the same problem. Does anyone else have this problem. It is only if I click on the area as shown in the attached image. So basically if I choose a pattern I cannot browse to select a pattern it just crashes. This applies to the gradient and colour option as well.

Any suggestions? Thank you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	material palette.jpg 
Views:	466 
Size:	16.7 KB 
ID:	44734  
    “BE KIND, FOR EVERYONE YOU MEET IS FIGHTING A HARD BATTLE” -Plato
    IP

Default Re: PSP Material Palette Causes Crash

I used PSP 9 for more than a year, and while I didn't have the specific problem you describe with the materials palette, the whole program did freeze up on me fairly frequently.

It turned out that I was trying to run it with insufficient RAM and too little room on my hard drive. I was set up with 256 Megs and as little as 4 or 5 free gigs on my 30 gig hard drive. By upping the RAM to 1 gig, and freeing up at least 12 gigs on the hard drive, I have had many, many fewer problems with freezing. Also, I've since upgraded to PSP X2.

I can still bring on a crash if I get careless about playing around with Curves adjustments, especially if I've let stuff build up on my hard drive. I have external drives now, so if I make enough room on the internal hard drive, I can see an immediate difference in processing speed and "crashlessness."

Do you think something like RAM or hard drive limitations could be contributing to your problems with the materials palette?
    Please visit my photo galleries: www.pbase.com/soenda
    IP

Hi Soenda

Thank you so much for your reply. I have 1gig ram and a 160gb drive. I do not think that is the problem. BUT there was a mention of a referenced memory issue at one stage and it also points to the jascrender.dll as being the problem.

Apart from formatting my drive I have no idea and i am not going to do that for I am not sure if it will fix the problem. I did have this problem on my older PC as well and for the life of me I cannot remember how I fixed it. I was sure that a simply re-installed but that is not working this time.

Take care!

Regards

Barry
    IP

Did you clear out your workspace Barry? If the PSP is looking for something it can't find it may crash - reinstalling does not, as far as I remember clear the user workspace out
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

With your 160 gb hard drive and 1 gb of RAM, you'd think that would be enough.

Still, there are preferences in PSP that can be incredible space gobblers. One example is how many "undos" you want available to you. If I recall, there are others such as how many files you want saved as recent.

Seems to me that there were three or four different ways to let PSP 9 hang onto much more data than was essential.

If nothing else, it gives you some other things to rule out.

Good luck,

S.
    Please visit my photo galleries: www.pbase.com/soenda
    IP

Hi Steve and Soenda

Well I tried what you said Steve and no luck. I was so excited at the idea. It was a fresh install and right from the start it has been a problem.

The error message details keeps referring to the jascrender.dll and then also referenced memory. I did a google on a referenced memory problem and many people have had this and no idea how to sort it out, even getting new memory. What I will do is change the ram from one slot to another and see if that helps. Otherwise I will have to write to Corel. No one else seems to be having this problem. I spent hours searching with no luck for answers. Thanks for the help. If I do find out what is wrong I will update this thread.
    IP

could be hardware - might be a conflict between programs recently installed, or anti-virus anstispyware, or a registry problem.

maybe worth going to microsoft site and doing a livescan check - which may clear any registry problems that you might have missed
    http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/d...sah/?s_cid=sah

Good luck from me too
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Have you checked the plug-in directory/s in PSP's Folder Locations (in preferences) and ensured that everything is as it should be?
    Try removing the location referrences and see if the error stops.

Just a thought. I do recall having issues with all versions after 6.
    I no longer use PSP at all.
    IP

Hi Steve and Sledger

I tried your suggestions and still no luck. Thanks guys. I used that feature so much. I went to Corel's site and they do not support PSP 9 anymore. Bummer!
    IP

Well it's clear that SOMETHING is causing the error. It's a matter of finding what that something is.
    Often errors that give memory addresses don't mean there's something wrong with the RAM in your machine. Commonly it means that the address in memory that it has bee allocated is not available or there is some corrupt data in there left behind by another program. The corrupt data may be a result of a virus, poor programming, misbehaving hardware or as Steve mentioned, conflicts.
    How is your Electricity supply situation now, an iffy PSU will cause program errors. If your PSU has been somehow 'spiked' because of your random outages, then your system could be suffering from a bad 'ticker'.
    IP