Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Xara, Wacom tablet and Vista 64 bit. They're all sulking.

I’m having some odd problems with Xara and my Wacom tablet now that I’ve upgraded to Vista 64 bit.

Firstly, to put some perspective on this, there is a driver issue going on here which is probably at the root of this, but more on that later.

The problem is this, my tablet works normally in all other programmes but Xara. Indeed in Xara it works fine too but with one odd exception. When I click on a menu item, or click on, say an ‘OK ‘ button or cancel button in a dialogue box it doesn’t work. The same thing with some, although not all, of the tools on the control bar, nothing happens until I simultaneously click the button on the side of my tablet’s pen.

It’s the same, although a bit different, when trying to save a document. Within the ‘Save as’ dialogue box, the Save and Cancel buttons will only click when I also click the pen button. It gets odder. When drilling down through the folders, if I double-click on a folder to open it, this time it behaves exactly as if I’ve right-clicked on the folder and the context sensitive menu appears. Again I have to click the pen’s button to make it behave normally. The weird thing is, if I use my WACOM tablet’s mouse, everything behaves perfectly normally.

Now, I said that there was a driver issue. I downloaded the WACOM driver for 64 bit Vista. Big mistake it turns out as I can no longer get access to the WACOM control panel. When I click on it in Window’s Control Panel, the driver’s interface minimises to the task bar and won’t allow me to maximise or restore it. It only allows me to close it or minimise it (it already is minimised) or it gives me the option to move it, which of course does nothing.

I’ve tried uninstalling and re-installing the driver. I’ve even tried rolling back Vista to yesterday morning when it was a brand new, newly installed, squeaky clean installation on a brand new machine with no other programmes installed on it. Why but of course Xara was the first program I installed! Would that I would do otherwise, perish the thought.

Anyway, Wacom’s tech guys had never heard of this one before and couldn’t help me.

Has anyone here experienced anything similar?

One last thought. I mention the driver issue, but seeing as I leave all the Wacom’s settings on their defaults anyway, not being able to access their controls is something with which I can live. Well. For the mean time. The big question is, is it a driver issue at all? Xara is afterall the only programme which exhibits this odd behaviour. Everything else which is now installed is dandy.
    Last edited by hamishmacd; 22 January 2008 at 08:17 PM.

Default Re: Xara, Wacom tablet and Vista 64 bit. They're all sulking.

I've seen similar posts in the artrage forum:

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ic.php?t=10988

You might take a look there and see if any of that helps you. I've seen a number of posts here and there regards V64 and tablets and there seem to be some issues with that combo.

Stan

Default This seems to be a xara does not work with 64bit Vista problem. can this be true?

Thanks. The sort of good news, it's not the driver.

I have my driver back again. For anyone else with a similar problem: read this http://www.wacom-europe.com/forum/to...?TOPIC_ID=6572

The problem does however seem to lie with Xara. Using a wacom tablet on 64 bit Vista there are the following problems:

- None of the drop down menus work (all of the following require right clicking)
    - The feathering slider does not work although, strangely the 'set view quality' slider does.
    - The set line width slider doesn't work
    - Neither does the set zoom slider
    - None of the buttons within any dialogue boxes work

Conversely all of the colour bar buttons behave as if they are being right clicked when they are being clicked normally.
    You can’t move or close any of the galleries without right clicking them.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Default Re: Xara, Wacom tablet and Vista 64 bit. They're all sulking.

I recall that someone else was experiencing problems with the 64bit version of Vista and people having problems with the 64bit version of XP.

Unfortunately the 64bit OS appears to have issues with some 32bit software. I've read reports about other software not working correctly on 64bit hardware system running 64bit OS. However running 32bit OS on a 64bit hardware appears to work without problems.
    Last edited by Soquili; 22 January 2008 at 11:34 PM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Default Oh lordy, do I feel stoopid now

Ummm. Err. As in to err is human.

Actually. It was the mouse settings in Windows.

Please don't tell anybody about this. I think I need a nice cup of tea and a hole to hide in.

I'm sure the nurses here are stealling my clothes.