Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default vector graphics?

I do a bit of programming on linux and have just started to do some web design. I am going to use Xara for the grapthics. I have been playing around with it today and trying to figure out how the heck to save the graphic as a vector. Then I came across this:
    save as saves your work as a xara3D file - preserving your project in vector format - so that you can continue/edit later - these files can only be opened by xara3D.

export exports your work in animated raster[bitmap] format - eg gif - which is then no longer editable in xara3D - but can then be loaded into web browsers [or other programs]
    I was wondering if I were to use a graphic for a logo and needed it in different sizes would I keep a version saved as a vector and then when I it is needed for different things resize and export as a jpg etc?

This would clearly work but I was wondering if there is a better/more efficient way to do it? or if anyone had any trade tricks with regards to this?

Default Re: vector graphics?

Hello Hush
    Xara will save a file in its native format with the extension .xar that is the vector file.
    I would save the vector and resize or make copies in different sizes and then export as gif or jpg or what ever format you need.
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire

Hello Hush, Welcome to TalkGraphics.

No, there isn't a better way.

Xara is a vector application and automatically saves as a vector .XAR format

Standard web pages cannot incorporate a vector graphic. Whatever you draw should be saved as a .XAR AND exported as either a GIF or PNG for use on the Web.

Typically JPG's are used for photo's and GIF or PNG for graphics.

Sorry Bruce, you beat me to it.....
    Last edited by ss-kalm; 22 January 2008 at 04:54 PM.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Hi Hush welcome to TG

I recognise that [unattributed] quote - it's one of mine
    here:
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=30749

It was talking about the xara3D program - you have posted in the xara xtreme forum so - are you using both or just one of these programs?

Bruce has answered the basic point - to save as a vector you save which creates a vector file in the programs native format.

Mostly web browsers are currently not at all clever with vectors, though the situation is improving - meanwhile it is normal to use bitmaps so the majority of visitors will be able to see the graphic properly.

Bitmaps are exported from both programs.

Bitmaps cannot be edited like vectors. Hence the need to save.

This is the way it is at present.
    Hope this helps.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

I would add that the one (widely accepted) exception to not being able to display your graphics on the web as vector, is Flash. Flash is a vector application and if you import your vector graphics into it, it will display them on the web as a vector.

Just an FYI...

Eric
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    Web Templates. My Beginner Video Tutorials
    My Club. My Album.
    My Other Album. My Tutorial.

and flash does not have to be animated of course - Good point Eric
    Nothing lasts forever...

Awe... but flash is a not a standard, it is a plugin and even if 95% of the users have it, there will be occasional problems with versions/have/nopt enabled etc. Browsers where originally designed to show simple bitmaps and are not that far along in the programming timeline to work with vectors. The closest thing to a vector standard is flash for a browser...
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

Thanks everyone. You have all been really helpful. Seems like there is a really good community in this forum

All web browsers except IE7 support .SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics) *without* plugins.

Just throught I'd mention this.

but does it work well in paractice Steve - or do you think the lack of use is more due to people not wanting to put up downloadable editable vector images on the web?
    Nothing lasts forever...