Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Please tell me whats happening on Xara for Mac OS X!

It's true, Acer had an awful reputation some years ago, their sister Company 'BenQ' managed to bring back some good vibes.

Acer still sell very low end 'BigW' systems which frankly I would never sell.
    However they do make quite good and reliable Laptops now.
    The Laptop industry is after all the main growth areas for Personal Computers now.

Here, Dell get a lot of currency - but it doesn't take long for the 'support' cycle to drive users away from buying Dell again.

Affordability is something that customers have demanded and manufacturers have delivered in order to be competitive.
    It's a cut throat industry and lower-prices do not mean better bargains, something has to give.

edit: lol - I can't count.. 'Steve' is five letters.... Oh well
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 28 January 2008 at 09:14 PM. Reason: remove oopsy

Where the affordable hardware comes from in 10 to 15 years may be very difficult to predict.

Because of the US Dollar loss of value compared to the Euro there have been some companies in Europe that are opening manufacturing facilities here in the US. The news release stated the cost of labour is cheaper in the US than in other areas of the world.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    The news release stated the cost of labour is cheaper in the US than in other areas of the world....
    That's a seroiusly debatable point.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Keith I'm not trying to start any debates. The article stated that some European companies are moving facilities to the US because the cost of labour in their country is more expensive than labour in the US. With the dollar having lower value than the euro it is more cost effective to build in the US and less risk than building in other areas of the world where the labour cost would be cheaper. Result is less expensive overall.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    Keith I'm not trying to start any debates. The article stated that some European companies are moving facilities to the US because the cost of labour in their country is more expensive than labour in the US. With the dollar having lower value than the euro it is more cost effective to build in the US and less risk than building in other areas of the world where the labour cost would be cheaper. Result is less expensive overall.
    If we are only talking about US versus Europe then I agree, but "other areas" of the world are much cheaper but more risk as you say. As we all know, generally (exchange rates not withstanding), you get what you pay for .....
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.