Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Feature Request: Linked pictures

I use PS as my editor too and I'll agree the implementation of this feature is one of the really good things to come out of the recent changes to XXP.

The approach you describe in post #11 is one I also take.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Isn't this feature request similar to what is known as symbols? An object which is then defined as a symbol can be used multiple times as instances of the original. When one of those objects is changed, all others update to reflect the changes. The object can be any kind of object. Illustrator has this feature, Xara doesn't yet.

In most applications it's known as OLE - Object linking and embedding. It's exactly the same principle as putting an Excel spreadsheet into a Word document. Double clicking on the spreadsheet launches Excel and edits the original file. All instances of the original spreadsheet are automatically updated.

Most applications allow you to either insert a picture (for example) or add an OLE object which can be the same picture. Best of both worlds.

I'm not sure why we are arguing about the possible implications of this, as adding OLE Objects would not stop anyone inserting a bitmap as they do now, but would only add a feature. That way you can pick and choose either way - No negatives only positives.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Xhris View Post
    Isn't this feature request similar to what is known as symbols?
    No. A 'symbol' is entirely different.

Ah, after re-reading it more thoroughly, it is akin to an external symbol rather than an internal one.

One of the last .xar files I used was 40 meg worth of bitmaps and I had no problems opening changing or moving the file.

My K4 drawing is over 6 meg and other than the smoke/steam it is only about 10 objects. It too opens fast and causes no problems with updates/changes etc.

I have found xara to handle larger files easier than the other "graphics programs" out there.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

The concept of linked pictures differs from OLE objects and also from Adobe Illustrator/Adobe Flash Symbols:
    • An OLE object is embedded into a file (for example into a Microsoft Word document) or only linked
    • A Symbol is embedded into a file (for example into a Adobe Illustrator file or a Adobe Flash file)
    • A linked picture is not embedded into a file. Only the link to the file (the path to the bitmap file together with some additional infos) is saved into the file. You'll find such features in DTP packages like InDesign, Quark, Corel Draw or Scribus, but rarely in graphics packages like Xara Xtreme.

If you need to design a business report for a customer with 30+ pages and large photos (each photo with 50 MB+, because of a high resolution with 300-1200 DPI) on each site, then your document will end with 30 * 50 MB = 1500 MB file size. If your next job is, to layout a folder for a travel company with 150+ pages, then your file size will burst your computer. Therefore, these DTP packages offers the function to include a image into your document without the whole bitmap data, but only the link to the file. The result is a small file with some text and some links to pictures, but not a 7,5 GB file.

Some DTP packages offers assistants in order to gather all necessary files for the Service Bureau automatically.

Remi
    Last edited by remi; 18 January 2008 at 03:44 AM.

I just gave my catalog for printing (final files are PDF of course), so I hope my headache is over! )))

BTW, that page I mentioned as 150 mb is about 9 mb in PDF )

Also, I have a chance to thank you Xara's team for a very nice PSD import/export ability! And advanced PDF settings too! Personally, I think these two options are the most awesome steps in the development of my favorite application )))

Alex
    Last edited by alexbozhenov; 18 January 2008 at 05:39 AM.
    Lead designer,
    MichelMour LLC

Most often, a shot is not used full sized at 1200 DPI. So in that instance, one could just use a bitmap copy at the size to be displayed at 300 DPI and you will drop your file size considerably. I have never gotten the chance to create a 150 page full color catalog, so I can't speak with any authority on that.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook