Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Simple Double Border Tutorial

Yes you're right. Seems to be that Verdana (basic) font, I randomly chose some other fonts and couldn't repeat the misalignment.
    Also, the VERDANA Bold font works fine..
    I'm not sure why either.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    Not only that ...... if you group the glow shadow and the object, (as has been discussed elsewhere), you can add a glow shadow to it, and if you group the glow shadow and the object, you can add a glow shadow to it, and... ad nauseum.
    OK ... I was able to get that to work too. Nifty.

Unfortunately, contour/group/contour doesn't seem to work the same way. After grouping a contoured object, re-selecting contour only edits the original contour.

So, it looks like Convert to Editable Shapes is required for nesting contours -- is there any way around that?

Odd, that two similar tools operate in such different ways.

-Ken

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Yes you're right. Seems to be that Verdana (basic) font, I randomly chose some other fonts and couldn't repeat the misalignment.
    Also, the VERDANA Bold font works fine..
    I'm not sure why either.
    Thanks Steve. Verdana just happened to be the default font. I have also (now) tried other fonts and I can't reproduce it either. Mental Note: Don't use this method with verdana.
    Very bizarre.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I just used a cloned A overtop of itself with different line colors/widths... Set the line join to miter...

PS... it works with Verdana

Awe... My mistake... didn't read all the notes...

Examples deleted... ignore the above comment.
    Last edited by raynerj1; 17 January 2008 at 04:25 AM.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by kismert View Post
    [*]The bevel tool works similarly to the contour tool, but the bevel tool won't render true border colors, even with no contrast and the light angle at 90 degrees.
    It seems to in the following test.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by raynerj1 View Post
    I just used a cloned A overtop of itself with different line colors/widths... Set the line join to miter...

PS... it works with Verdana

In the sign industry, cutting software interprets lines as the 'cut' line. It's how it works. So borders are created differently.

Lines are fine for some purposes (web graphics etc) but care in how they are used is important. As mentioned in post#1 about Xaras lines not being true 'out'lines.

Quote Originally Posted by David O'Neil View Post
    It seems to in the following test.
    David,

I am using 3.2.3.2440 DL (yes I bought the CD, yes, I've been to lazy to install it). Here is what I find:

Using your example, the white inset is indeed white, but try this:
    • Set the light elevation to 90 degrees in the Bevel toolbar -- this is necessary to make the border a solid color
    • Fill the white inset with the light pink on the left of the color strip -- #ff8080
    • Use the eye dropper in the color editor to check the color. For me, it shifts to #ff9999. #ebede8 (a light warm gray) shifts to #f2f0ee in your example.

This is because the 'Flat' bevel isn't flat. It is a straight 45 degree bevel, so a certain portion of the light is reflected away from the viewer.

So, I don't find the bevel tool to be a reliable way to set a specific color for the border.

-Ken

You can overcome that by converting the beveled text to editable shapes, then ungrouping, and replacing the bitmap fill it is left with with a flat fill. A little more complicated than your solution, but it works.

Best wishes,
    David