Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Can the default line width sizes be changed?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon G View Post
    No, the mouse wheel does not do that. Soquili got it right.
    I wonder why you would be so definate? Because it certianly does ol' bean..

In Xara's mousewheel implementation you can't still control the line width outside the strange default values,
    Agreed, but certainly the one click'n'roll' method does work and produces a similar result as a spin-control would with the same parameters.

Of course when rolling the mouse wheel (and watching the line thickness change in real-time) the preset (your strange default values..?) thicknesses are chosen in sequence rather than the tiniest of possible increments. But this is hardly a major issue because I can customise this by entering the precise value if necesary. I am not constrained by or limited to the presets.

......and you need to click in the box and also click inside the document to free the focus from the field. Try this with a drawing tool selected.
    Not sure I fully follow that sentence, but I was able to draw a squiggly line with the freehand (drawing) tool, click 'once' inside the line thickness control and spin the mouse wheel and watch the line thickness change in real-time, up and down with the direction I spun the wheel..
    One click back to the document and I'm back drawing.
    But seriously, in a vector program where creating/removing [many nodes] /adjusting/sizing/rotating and colouring objects many many many times over to get it just right is all part of the normal workflow routine - are we really going to be concerned about mouse clicks???

Is this not going down the 'I want everything to work my way' route which we see crop up all too often.
    Customisation at any level is only ever going to be 'within allowable parameters'.

I'd prefer to buy just 6 rissoles, but the supermarket butcher only packs them in qtys of 9. Life goes on.

Well, you learn something every day! Clicking and using the mouse wheel inside the font size box does indeed produce the effect you mention Steve. Nice little time saver.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

as far as the line size goes if you left click and then scroll it will work if you have a line selected in the first place, or at least have the confirm default attribute dialog box deactivated other wise it will pop up and halt things.

this is my experience - still not a one-click operation since it doesn't work with centre click - maybe way my mouse is set?

for me, not an issue though
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Yes the object you are wanting to change attributes for must be selected, but this doesn't count (or should be included) as a click because you are working with that object anyway (even if a 'spin control' was available the way Jon G would prefer).
    Therefore it is truly a one left-click operation, rolling the mouse wheel to scroll through the presets isn't physically or technically a click. The attributes are applied on the fly - so no further click is needed to confirm.

there are differing views on that I remember being 'pulled up' for suggesting that scrolling down a web page with the mouse wheel was not a click

Personally I agree with you Steve, but there are those who see it the other way
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    ..I remember being 'pulled up' for suggesting that scrolling down a web page with the mouse wheel was not a click
    Agreed.... Only a click is a click.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Of course when rolling the mouse wheel (and watching the line thickness change in real-time) the preset (your strange default values..?) thicknesses are chosen in sequence rather than the tiniest of possible increments. But this is hardly a major issue because I can customise this by entering the precise value if necesary. I am not constrained by or limited to the presets.
    There are hardly any major issues at the moment in Xara. It works, the whole point of these discussions is to make it even better, to go into minute details and aim for perfection. Xara is all about streamlined workflow, why not go all the way? It would therefore be useful to be able to customize these presets per installation. "Click, enter value by keyboard, enter" every time you want some other line width than the presets is a usability issue and could be easily fixed with no harm done to anybody.

Not sure I fully follow that sentence, but I was able to draw a squiggly line with the freehand (drawing) tool, click 'once' inside the line thickness control and spin the mouse wheel and watch the line thickness change in real-time, up and down with the direction I spun the wheel..
    One click back to the document and I'm back drawing.
    Exactly, one click back to the document and you actually draw something, not only return to the document. This click draws a node.

But seriously, in a vector program where creating/removing [many nodes] /adjusting/sizing/rotating and colouring objects many many many times over to get it just right is all part of the normal workflow routine - are we really going to be concerned about mouse clicks???
    Yes, we are concerned, especially in routine tasks. Xara team has done excellent job minizing the amount of clicking, why not continue this direction?

Is this not going down the 'I want everything to work my way' route which we see crop up all too often.
    What we see here is suggestions and opposition to change, resulting in a dialog. If you see this only as my selfishness, you're possibly not thinking hard enough.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Yes the object you are wanting to change attributes for must be selected, but this doesn't count (or should be included) as a click because you are working with that object anyway (even if a 'spin control' was available the way Jon G would prefer).
    Therefore it is truly a one left-click operation, rolling the mouse wheel to scroll through the presets isn't physically or technically a click. The attributes are applied on the fly - so no further click is needed to confirm.
    You normally have an object selected, if not, line w is applied to object you are going to draw.

And yes, a further click is needed to get out of the active selection box. And this click results in a node. Otherwise the scrollwheel is tied to the line width drop-down and you can't for example scroll around the document.

Exactly, one click back to the document and you actually draw something, not only return to the document. This click draws a node.
    Not if you hold SHIFT it won't.

Yes, we are concerned, especially in routine tasks.
    We?..
    Speak for yourself - I'm busy drawing, not counting

If you see this only as my selfishness, you're possibly not thinking hard enough.
    I don't presume to know you that well, besides, I prefer to think outside the square... Far less crowded.

..a further click is needed to get out of the active selection box. And this click results in a node. Otherwise the scrollwheel is tied to the line width drop-down and you can't for example scroll around the document.
    Not, as I said - if you hold SHIFT

Girls, plueeze! I'm getting a headache.

If the wheel mouse will work with many of the sliders, but not all. In the XPE enhance menu, the cursor only need be over the slider button to work. But it does work with most sliders.

Here's a suggestion for TDolce or anyone else who needs more control over the line widths. Make a blend of two line widths to create a desirable range of widths. Convert to Editable Shapes and Ungroup.

Place these lines anywhere you can get to them and save the page as a template.

When working, copy the desired line and paste attributes to your selection. The lines can be colored, have arrowheads, be dashed, or even be custom brushes (but if they are brushes do not convert to editable shapes as they will no longer be brushes).

Gary