Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Can the default line width sizes be changed?

Is there a way to add or change the default choices for line width sizes that appera in the drop down menu? I always have to manually make edits to the size options they provide and it drives me crazy after awhile. There is too big of a jump from 4 to 8pix and 8 to 16pix. I tend to draw with 3pix size and often go up to a 12 for other things. Where can I go in and change this?

Thanks,
    td

Default Re: Can the default line width sizes be changed?

Not that I am aware of. I usually just highlight the default and change it. I can't see that it is any more tedious than selecting from the drop down list.

The default line widths are kind of like the colors in the screen palette. They are a starting point.

Gary

It's an extra step..... but it adds up for me during a design. I mean I can live with it,...but heck I just wondered if there was a way to truly customize the settings. Hey I got it,...how about if it was a voice responsive tool. I can just say 3pix and the line changes to that width?!!! OK,..OK,.....I know,....you don't have to say it!!!

I agree, this really should be more flexible. Typing line widths (and other measures) is very uninspiring.

I'd really love to see clickable arrows instead of the fake arrows that only open the dropdown menu. Scroll-wheel should be enabled too for quick adjustments. These would all increase usability in my opinion.

TDolce, maybe this helps a bit; set the line width to 3pix when opening a new document (with nothing selected, only the arrow tool) and it then stays as default line width for that document. You can also save this setting in your dafault template with your other useful tweaks.

Thanks Jon,..yeah I thought of that as soon as I stepped away. It's a fix for now. It will allow me to at least "start" out with my most commonly used line size for now. I should have realized this before. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm all about customization. A scroll wheel would be most helpful too!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon G View Post
    I'd really love to see clickable arrows instead of the fake arrows that only open the dropdown menu.
    Please explain ??

Two buttons instead of one, ie up & down arrows that in/decrement the value directly without opening the menu. Very handy.

Jon that is referred to as a spin control in Microsoft development software.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by Jon G View Post
    Two buttons instead of one, ie up & down arrows that in/decrement the value directly without opening the menu. Very handy.
    The mouse wheel does this. Just click inside (say the font size window) and roll your mouse wheel. Other incrementals are also adjustable with a spin of the mouse wheel without opening the menu.

No, the mouse wheel does not do that. Soquili got it right.

http://www.functionx.com/visualc/controls/spin.htm

The point is only one click, nothing else, to change a value.

In Xara's mousewheel implementation you can't still control the line width outside the strange default values, and you need to click in the box and also click inside the document to free the focus from the field. Try this with a drawing tool selected. A better way to provide mouse wheel support is to make the area "rollable", ie one can just hover above the desired control and scroll the wheel.