Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Text...Outlines....Curves...and Shapes?: Vinyl Cutter filetypes

Ok, I know this has probably been asked before but I need to apply this question to my problem.
    I created a project for a client, I deal mostly in web design and web graphics
    using the awesome tool Xara Xtreme. Just upgraded to 3.2
    My graphics have always been superb for the web and small printing projects like biz cards for example.
    But my client wanted me to design graphics for vinyl banners of various sizes.
    The print shop needed .ai files.
    I need to know how we deal with converting text to curves or outlines when saving work as .ai files using Xtreme while avoiding the need to use Illustrator?
    I tried converting to editable shapes but still the printer has issues with my files.

Any input would be much appreciated.
    Bman

Default Re: Text...Outlines....Curves...and Shapes?

Hi Bman,

I couldnt say why the print shop is having problems with the ai files. How about sending the files as .wmf or .emf and see if the printer can cut those.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I export .ai's regularly from XXP and import them into SignLab for sending to the vinyl plotter (cutter)
    Of course I make certain that:

• Text is shapes
    • Colours are 'spot' colours
    • Lines are shapes
    • No bitmaps and no bitmap effects

Never had an issue yet.

However, sometimes when a client supplies a file which is a bit iffy - we open the file into CorelDraw and either re save as a supported format or even just copy the vector shapes to the clipboard and paste into SignLab. Signlab will also import PDF when you follow the same rules above as the .ai files (.ai and .pdf are after all very similar)

Your signshop may not be using SignLab for their plotter of course, however it's always best to find out what software they use and which format they prefer to work with.
    If they are using Signlab and you want to supply them your file as a .CDL (Signlabs file format) feel free to email me your .ai and I'll convert it for you.

Default Re: Text...Outlines....Curves...and Shapes?: Vinyl Cutter filetypes

Sledger do you have any luck with a "CutContour" spot color for a vinyl cutter? I seem to have hit and miss results. I love how easy bevels and effect are to put on in XXP and we love to use it for banner layout and such but I cant seem to get consistant results with a CutContour line value.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I export .ai's regularly from XXP and import them into SignLab for sending to the vinyl plotter (cutter)
    Of course I make certain that:

• Text is shapes
    • Colours are 'spot' colours
    • Lines are shapes
    • No bitmaps and no bitmap effects

Never had an issue yet.

However, sometimes when a client supplies a file which is a bit iffy - we open the file into CorelDraw and either re save as a supported format or even just copy the vector shapes to the clipboard and paste into SignLab. Signlab will also import PDF when you follow the same rules above as the .ai files (.ai and .pdf are after all very similar)

Your signshop may not be using SignLab for their plotter of course, however it's always best to find out what software they use and which format they prefer to work with.
    If they are using Signlab and you want to supply them your file as a .CDL (Signlabs file format) feel free to email me your .ai and I'll convert it for you.
    Thank you very much for all that useful info. What are you referring to as 'spot' colors by the way?

Default Re: Text...Outlines....Curves...and Shapes?: Vinyl Cutter filetypes

Spot Colour: A single ink color. Solid.

SignLab has a contour cut feature (also klnown as General Decal Cut)
    which automatically creates a contour cut path around raster and vector images. No need to spend the time and effort hand draw contour lines.

However for the Gerber Edge, I use the mould tool to create a single line contour around [say] a knocked out raster image, this line is saved as an .ai and imported into Gerber Omega Software along with the raster, then centred. This produces the cut-line for us.