Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Cool Disabled Designers Using Xtreme

Hello. I just wanted to introduce myself and see if anyone else is using adaptive software and working with Xara Xtreme. I am totally paralyzed save for a few facial muscles that I use to operate my computer. I would love to find others like myself (if any such nutcases exist) with whom to share ideas and alternative techniques. I am new to computer graphics, but after a lifetime of creative expression through music and art I am so happy to have discovered Xara. I built a website for a non-profit I started using FrontPage and it helped quench my creative thirst, but it’s done. I have completed a couple of Gary’s tutorials in Xara Zone and it’s helping me learn the program, but they are a tad advanced for me. So, if you’re out there, let’s talk.

Default Re: Disabled Designers Using Xtreme

Hi,

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with adaptive software, but I can point to places to help learn the program. The video tutorials in the help section of Xara Xtreme are good learning aids. There are also a lot of video tutorials available on YouTube which show users demonstrating various techniques and features. (I've done a few myself; link is in my signature at the bottom). There are also a few written tutorials available down there which discuss some of the tools in detail. Everyone here also helps out with suggestions on how to do things.

Xhris

Hi Tom1

First, I would like to welcome you to the forum and hopefully I speak for more than just myself (take that as a given). I hope we will get to see more of you here and possibly some of the things you will eventually create using xara. I guarantee anything and everything you do create will be better than what I do but that certainly does not remove my pleasure playing with the program. To tell the truth, when I bought my first version serveral years ago, I couldn't do anything with it, got very frustrated with the whole thing and it was not opened for another 6 months. Then, one day, while doodling, I clicked on the arrange, combine shapes and for some reason, after a bit of playing, the add, subtract, slice, but not the intercept commands came to me, and after that it was just up hill. You do have to understand these 3 basics to accomplish most of even the most basic pieces of art. And if you still don't understand the intercept shape command, well, the way I see it is like cropping. Try placing a black circle on an image or photo, select all, and then use the intercept command and you will understand what I mean.

I would also seriously suggest looking at all the movies in the help section and since you already mention Gary's tutorials, obviously you are aware of the Xaraxone site.........fantastic place that is......I totally surprise myself at how many times I visit it and I can't see that changing anytime in the future.

I certainly don't envy you and would not like to change places, but I do take my hat off to you. I am sure once you get used to the program and start creating you will find it very theraputic and calming besides being a lot of fun and giving hours of pleasure. Keep posting and I guarantee you will make online friends here........that's personal experience talking............frank

Hi Tom, you may take a look at autohotkey
    Great for automating scripts (mouse clicks, keyboard remapping ,etc..)

There's a good support forum there also.

Regards,

Marc

Welcome to Talkgraphics Tom.
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 01 January 2008 at 06:09 AM. Reason: Insensitive remark
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

Hello, I work for a registered charity in the UK teaching people with varying kind of disabilities. We do not treat them as nutcases but as human beings - they reciprocate in kind. We have Xara Xtreme XS installed on four computers which they enjoy using with success. We make extensive use of the tutorials that are available within the Xara community. You have mentioned the extent of your disabilities - please do not let that put you off as I am sure that your computer has already been customised on both the software and hardware front including making use of adaptive technology just like we have done. In 2008, we will all be using Xara even more as we will now be tackling the photographic side of the Xara software. Time and perseverance is the key to success. Good luck.

Hi Tom - welcome to TG

Computers are wonderfully enabling devices - given the necessary adaptations.

It sounds as if you have been using them for a while for other things so it should not take long to get to grips with xara, which is easier to learn than most other graphics packages.

If you haven't already done so - I'd recommend a look at ArtRage, there is a free starter version, available: www.ambientdesign.com and it complements xara very well for the more 'painterly' effects, whilst again being very easy to learn.

-------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hello Tom and welcome to the Xtreme Conference.

What you are doing is nothing short of amazing and I am in awe of your effort.

There are several of the Workbooks that are for new users and cover many of the basic functions. There are many short tutorials as well that may be easier to complete.

I hope you will relate your learning experiences here for all to share.

Happy New Year and welcome again.

Gary

Cool Re: Disabled Designers Using Xtreme

Thanks everyone for the great ideas and support. I will use all of your ideas as time allows. After I posted my message I was reading some other threads and discovered that LVS offers an online class teaching an introduction to Xara Xtreme and I promptly enrolled. What a great forum! Thanks again.
    Tom Nelson
    c4q.org

I'd just like to add my welcome to you Tom. Any questions just ask ..... No question is too dumb.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.